Comedy-dramas...?

We might have done this before, but I'd be interested to hear what shows people think of as comedy-dramas? Shows that succeed in both being dramatic and funny?

Love Soup maybe.

Two off the top of my head and there are many many more more, but for some reason I can't call them to mind right now, will get the wheels turning and see what I remember.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Private Schulz.

I think also things like Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes fall into this category although rather than Comedy Dramas they might be better described as Drama Comedies.

I love a comedy drama me and they are a bit thin on the ground these days. I was bemoaning that on some other thread recently. Commissioners these days seem to be obsessed with mean, moody, psycho-coppo-hospitalo, morgue-based misery fests.

Nurse Jackie definitely strikes me as one. Along with shows like Hung, Weeds, Breaking Bad and Californication.

Jonathan Creek, Jeeves & Wooster, Hotel Babylon.

All three are shows that have undoubtedly strong comedic elements, but also a very strong narrative of their own; stories that aren't comedic devices in the same way that the plots and intricacies of a sitcom episode are. That is, that they tell some kind of story NOT just by way of setting up and delivering humour.

HOWCANYOUNOTLIKEMISFITS?

Sorry, just had to let that burst forth!

Ah well, not for everyone I suppose.
I was just totally hooked from the first ep. It might have helped that I watched it not knowing anything about it whatsoever. ie, I saw no ads or trailers or heard a word about it. Didn't whether it was going to be a comedy/studio sitcom/drama about binmen/whatever.
(Think Aaron must have had a preview disc.)
Was great to have zero expectations for once.

Well Minder was of course - plus The Riff-raff element and also Hustle.

Minder, Big Deal, Give us a Break, The One Show.

The first series of Misfits is excellent but it loses its way in the second (yet remains watchable). Definitely comedy drama, though.

Misfits is so boring and so up its own arse and it's quite offensive.

Oh and it's neither dramatic nor funny.

Like X Men crossed with Byker Grove.

Cold Feet felt like a drama but with a humourous tone

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 20 2011, 8:44 PM GMT

Auf Weidessen Pet

Cold Feet

And those two of course. Two of the best TV series ever which leads me to think it's a much harder thing to do than write a sitcom.

There have been some one offs..Married, Single, Other which was on a few months ago was sort of comedy drama, though I didn't think that much of it

Quote: sootyj @ March 20 2011, 8:31 PM GMT

Misfits is so boring and so up its own arse and it's quite offensive.

Oh and it's neither dramatic nor funny.

Like X Men crossed with Byker Grove.

Yes, but you watch Glee.