Which sitcoms ended too early? Page 3

I agree about Father Ted but I'm glad it didn't continue as it wouldn't have been the same without Dermot Morgan.

Keeping Up Appearances should have had atleast one more series to draw a close. I know Patricia Routledge wanted to move on but just think what Series 6 would have been like. Perhaps do a little closure like have Hyacinth finally accepting her family. But Series 5 had great episodes for the show to bow out on.

I think there was a planned episode called "The Bishop Affair" but nothing come of it. Did anyone hear about that?

Quote: Andy Hunter @ March 18 2011, 3:58 PM GMT

I agree about Father Ted but I'm glad it didn't continue as it wouldn't have been the same without Dermot Morgan.

Keeping Up Appearances should have had atleast one more series to draw a close. I know Patricia Routledge wanted to move on but just think what Series 6 would have been like. Perhaps do a little closure like have Hyacinth finally accepting her family. But Series 5 had great episodes for the show to bow out on.

I think there was a planned episode called "The Bishop Affair" but nothing come of it. Did anyone hear about that?

No, I didn't know that. They could have done 1 more special or a series that ended with a visit from Sheridan but he probably worked better as an unseen character. Nightingales could have had 1 more series but as it was it stuck to the less is more maxim of all the great shows IMO.

Spaced.
Black Books.
Arrested Development.
Better Off Ted.
Blackadder.
I'm Alan Partridge.
Darkplace. (Okay, that's not a proper sitcom, but they still should have got a second series!)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 18 2011, 8:16 PM GMT

Spaced.
Black Books.
Arrested Development.
Better Off Ted.
Blackadder.
I'm Alan Partridge.
Darkplace. (Okay, that's not a proper sitcom, but they still should have got a second series!)

I could definitely do with more "Arrested Development". Yes, it got three seasons, but I could always have more. Thankfully, the film seems to be on track now.
"Blackadder" has often been surrounded with rumours of a return - only for fans to be disappointed. One idea was to set it in Colditz, the other in a Sixties Rock Band. I like both ideas - but Colditz is probably the truest to the show's style. Still, Sixties band could have been a very fresh idea - and further away historically from the fourth series.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 18 2011, 8:16 PM GMT

Arrested Development.
Better Off Ted.

Indubitably! A travesty there will be no more Better Off Ted, especially for a comedy show that started so strongly.

Definitely Better off Ted & Arrested Development
And a British one off the top of my head - Pulling.

On the American side - I'd say "High Society" with Mary McDonnell and Jean Smart. Very smart, witty, caustic and a big hit. When the executives asked the writers to tone it down a little for a second series, the writers refused and it disappeared without so much as a DVD. Truly unfair!

Angelo's

Happy Families. I can't imagine how they could continue the story but I read it was suggested then there wasn't the dosh, it was going to 'Red Dwarf'! Ben Elton sometimes calls it his favourite piece of writing and at 26 he was the youngest writer ever to do a mainstream BBC sitcom alone.
Filthy Rich and Catflap could've improved as they found their feet more - there's a jokey ref to another series in the last ep, and the original VO to its credits said 'more in the new year'. But it was quite unpopular so...
Also, I know it ain't a sitcom but Hello Mum! This was the TV version of Sony-winning Radio 4's In One Ear and it got terrible reviews unfortunately. But again, they were settling into format - and it was ambitious one, being live like 'Ear' but telly - and the ratings did go up towards the end. Not bad for BBC 2 10.00! Star Nick Wilton was in favour of another crack but the show was deemed unsuccessful and there was a change in the BBC controlling department.

Early Doors.
Whites.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ March 20 2011, 5:25 PM GMT

Happy Families. I can't imagine how they could continue the story but I read it was suggested then there wasn't the dosh, it was going to 'Red Dwarf'! Ben Elton sometimes calls it his favourite piece of writing and at 26 he was the youngest writer ever to do a mainstream BBC sitcom alone.
Filthy Rich and Catflap could've improved as they found their feet more - there's a jokey ref to another series in the last ep, and the original VO to its credits said 'more in the new year'. But it was quite unpopular so...
Also, I know it ain't a sitcom but Hello Mum! This was the TV version of Sony-winning Radio 4's In One Ear and it got terrible reviews unfortunately. But again, they were settling into format - and it was ambitious one, being live like 'Ear' but telly - and the ratings did go up towards the end. Not bad for BBC 2 10.00! Star Nick Wilton was in favour of another crack but the show was deemed unsuccessful and there was a change in the BBC controlling department.

Well - I would love for "Happy Families" to have had a second series - even though I still haven't seen all of the first one >_< because I was too young in its days and it is hard to see now.
I am not sure whether "Filthy, Rich and Catflap" should have continued or ended when it did and morphed into "Bottom" - a much more focused series. I would, however, have liked to see a lot more of Richie and Eddie in the world of tacky c-list celebrity - I loved this element. Nigel Planer is great - but I didn't think the Ralph character was doing much for him.

I love Arrested Development but thought that third series was patchy. It might have ended at the right time.

After You've Gone - Should have been allowed to complete the 4th series

Oh Doctor Beeching, ratings were good until they clashed it with something

Goodnight Sweetheart could have gone on to another as it the 6th series seemed to rush towards the end of the war, but there is potential for a return

Next of Kin - Ratings were at 8 million, should have got at least a 4th series

Dr Willoughby - Hidden away by ITV but not bad, should have got a 2nd series

Moving Wallpaper - Had the potential to grow if they had let it.

My Family - anything before series 4,894 is too soon.

I can't even find a DVD of Dr. Willoghby! There doesn't seem to be one in existence. I found this funny when it aired briefly over here.

Quote: David Carmon @ March 21 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

Goodnight Sweetheart could have gone on to another as it the 6th series seemed to rush towards the end of the war, but there is potential for a return.

I loved this show. I have the DVD sets and it still makes me laugh. It was a great 'situation' for a comedy, but the last series did 'jump the shark'.

If they can bring back To The Manor Born for a special catch-up edition, it would be worthwhile having one for GS. It could be set in the 1960s with Gary having to explain why The Beatles are performing songs he wrote 20 years earlier!