Lembit Opik Comedian

Has anyone caught his set?

I think that should read 'comedian'.

Sadly is there no beginning to Lempit the funny man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNo6fxsmJw

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 17 2011, 11:00 PM GMT

I think that should read 'comedian'.

Not really what I was after, I take it you haven't then.

Quote: Baumski @ March 17 2011, 11:15 PM GMT

Sadly is there no beginning to Lempit the funny man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNo6fxsmJw

Thanks, his a cheeky facker calling himself a 'comedian'.

A non sequitar surely?

There seems to have been a bit of a spate of this, celebrities deciding to become stand ups and what happens is that they bypass the open mic circuit and get booked for decent clubs right from the off because, sadly, their "celebrity" bring in punters.

They are then spectacularly unfunny, either just telling anecdotes about their rich, famous friends or doing jokes stolen from "Nuts" magazine.

There is no shortcut to being a funny stand up, you have to put in the hours and the miles traveling around the country, Lembit Opik hasn't done this and it annoys me that he is getting spots which comics have worked their asses off for just because he was an MP and went out with a Cheeky Girl.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 18 2011, 8:16 AM GMT

There is no shortcut to being a funny stand up, you have to put in the hours and the miles traveling around the country, Lembit Opik hasn't done this and it annoys me that he is getting spots which comics have worked their asses off for just because he was an MP and went out with a Cheeky Girl.

The clip of Opik's performance illustrates your point. No reason why an ex-MP, with a reputation for witty parliament performances (although I'm not saying Opik is one of them) shouldn't be good at it if they are prepared to put the work in.
Odd there aren't loads of politicians around who can deliver a sharp off-the-cuff one liners which former PMs Churchill and Wilson were famous for. Of course they can't act the clown in a serious business but it's pretty damning when your business is about fast communication and showing confidence and likeability.
Most I can think of have a terrible delivery with little sense of humour.

Lembit Opik is a c**t.

Saw his set downstairs at a little cafe off Leicester Square (cafe koha I think though I might be getting it confused with another venue). Not very funny. Although having said that it takes most standup comedians a lot of practice before they get consistently good. For an open mike act I'd say "shows potential" - for a famous person who most of the audience were in the room to see I'd say pretty dire!

If that was an open mic act I'd tell him not to give up his day job...

I haven't got the guts to watch that clip. Is it horrendous? Errr

Put it this way, if you didn't know it was meant to be stand up you wouldn't realise.

Very embarrassing >_<

Quote: Will Cam @ April 9 2011, 11:11 PM BST

Very embarrassing >_<

Will-you might be interested to know that like Will Hay, he's very big on asteroids-

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/289733.stm

I didn't realise the bar was set so high. I may have to rethink some of my material.