BBC sitcom Whites is cancelled

Isy Suttie just updated her Twitter account to say so.

Not surprised really. I watched three episodes and didn't think it was good at all.

That's disappointing. One of the better sitcom premieres last year, even though not NGO-hilarious.

In my opinion, it's one of the poorer casted shows I've seen.

Aw, shame. I quite enjoyed that.

Was there a specific reason for the plug being pulled on it?

What!? Whites!? Cancelled!? Oh God, what will we do!? Will there be a tomorrow!!? :O

*runs round the room, panicking* :O :O

Quote: Void @ March 1 2011, 3:22 PM GMT

Was there a specific reason for the plug being pulled on it?

Nope. Presumably just the first casualty of the budgetary restraints they're imposing.

If the BBC thought it was any good I'm sure they would have continued to make it. It seemed to have a good following amongst some, but most didn't seem to enjoy. Reflected in the ratings and subsequent cancellation.

However, I do feel for Matt King etc who probably worked their arses off to get it on TV in first place.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ March 1 2011, 3:46 PM GMT

If the BBC thought it was any good I'm sure they would have continued to make it.

If all it takes for a BBC show to be recommissioned is to be good, why do Two Pints and Coming of Age keep getting picked up again and again?

Well I was wondering if it was viewing figues, but didn't it finish around 1.8m? Similar figures to Episodes, right?

I thought the cast was fantastic, but it wasn't compulsive viewing. I missed the last episode or two.

I only managed to make it through one episode. And that took it out of me.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 1 2011, 3:55 PM GMT

Well I was wondering if it was viewing figues, but didn't it finish around 1.8m? Similar figures to Episodes, right?

Only the first episode of Episodes got that high. The second got ratings of 1.53, and the rest hovered between 1.1 and 1.3.

Hmmmmmm.

Quote: Aaron @ March 1 2011, 3:44 PM GMT

Nope. Presumably just the first casualty of the budgetary restraints they're imposing.

Yeah, I had the feeling it was down to that. Obviously the BBC will prioritise reporters going down to pointless locations to report on stories that people already know the bulk of, rather than sitcoms, so they'll go for the high jump, as you say.

It was at least rather better than Episodes, though that is damning with faint praise.