Performers who don't write their shows Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 24 2011, 10:26 PM GMT

Vic and Bob.

No, they just don't credit their contributors.

Somebody, post the handbag picture!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 25 2011, 12:07 AM GMT

Glad I put the probably in
:D

Basically, the only time he attempted to write alone in any particular amount, he went nuts.

Quote: Aaron @ February 25 2011, 12:15 PM GMT

No, they just don't credit their contributors.

If you say so. (I'm not counting Shooting Stars)

I've no doubt they would do it elsewhere if they do it on Shooting Stars!

But writing comedy is only part of the process.

Hence why sketch writers' shows where they perform are usually as funny as papal funerals (actually quite funny).

I'm fairly sure that Armstrong and Miller are quite heavily involved in the editing and more importantly directing/performing sketches they themselves haven't written.

In general terms, the comedians are expected at least to produce 1/3 of the material. Some do more, some do less. Ronnie Barker did at least 1/2 of The Two Ronnies, as Gerald Wiley.

Quote: Gerkuman @ February 26 2011, 5:34 PM GMT

In general terms, the comedians are expected at least to produce 1/3 of the material. Some do more, some do less. Ronnie Barker did at least 1/2 of The Two Ronnies, as Gerald Wiley.

A more accurate generalisation would be that the performers are expected to write between 0% and 100%.

Quote: Gerkuman @ February 26 2011, 5:34 PM GMT

Ronnie Barker wrote some great sketches as Gerald Wiley - some of The Two Ronnies' funniest.

I wasn't aware that Vic and Bob haven't always written everything in their shows.

Shouldn't writing the sketches be more important than who does it?

Quote: Matt79 @ February 27 2011, 7:45 PM GMT

I wasn't aware that Vic and Bob haven't always written everything in their shows.

I believe it's very rare that they ever use other writers.

OK, maybe there's often a core writing team, but what I meant was does it really matter whether or not the performers wrote the sketches themselves?

Quote: His Own Devices @ February 27 2011, 8:18 PM GMT

OK, maybe there's often a core writing team, but what I meant was does it really matter whether or not the performers wrote the sketches themselves?

I think personally that in some ways a comedy can be better if it is written by the performers. To me it just gives the series more edge if the performers are also the writers.

I was interested to hear more about Armstrong and Miller's earlier show - I didn't know much about the series - I'l have to check it out. The only sketch from this series I have seen (on YouTube) is a really funny spoof of Blue Peter.

Quote: Matt79 @ February 27 2011, 7:45 PM GMT

Ronnie Barker wrote some great sketches as Gerald Wiley - some of The Two Ronnies' funniest.

Indeed he did. And you mentioning that leads me suddenly to think... have we ever had a thread where people can bang-on about their favourite Two Ronnies sketch? Mine is 'Four Candles', but what about everyone else in the known universe?

*puts gun in mouth and pulls trigger (who makes a face)* :|

It's important to realise that some of the Two Ronnies best stuff wasn't by Barker too. Guys like David Renwick, John Cleese and Barry Cryer.

I guess the big thing that's missing is writers of that calibre, either behind or in front of the camera.