"Top 50 British Sitcoms"

Just been looking at this - https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/top/

And it says...

"Like pretty much any countdown voted for by the public, the results should be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, this particular poll seems to un-fairly favour modern sitcoms and BBC shows.This summer we will be replacing this section with a series of new lists that will be plugged directly into our new voting system. Stay tuned!"

When is this going to happen exactly, and how? I'm looking forward to it...

I think the 2004 BBC list was pretty fair. The public got to vote for the top 10 too. I can't see there being too much bias towards modern shows, 7 of the top 10 had finished at least 10 years before the poll was conducted.

What new shows do you think would have a chance of entering the top 50? I would go for:

The Inbetweeners
Gavin and Stacey
Outnumbered
Benidorm
IT Crowd
The Thick of It
Peep Show

Miranda would make it

Extras

Quote: Ben700 @ January 23 2011, 9:58 PM GMT

This summer we will be replacing this section with a series of new lists that will be plugged directly into our new voting system. Stay tuned!"

When is this going to happen exactly, and how? I'm looking forward to it...

This summer :)

Each of our guides will have a section where you can give the show a score out of 5 (or maybe 10), and optionally write your own review too. We'll collect up the scores and the programmes with the highest votes will appear on our list.

We've not launched it yet for a few reasons, including that we've still got to work out some fair maths (a comedy with 9,000 votes making an average of '4.9' is obviously better than a comedy that has a single vote giving it a score of '5'), and because the actual voting mechanism is only half built.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the results are though - will traditional comedies like Fawlty Towers still ride high, or will newer shows like The Office be people's favourites? Many of those shows you've suggested there certainly have a chance of getting in the Top 50 in place of other stuff (who, for example, actually remembers Gimme Gimme Gimme all that fondly now?)

Quote: David Carmon @ January 24 2011, 2:56 PM GMT

Miranda would make it

Well I'm not betting money on that. I'd give it top 500, but top 50? Come on!

Quote: dennispennis123 @ January 24 2011, 1:37 AM GMT

What new shows do you think would have a chance of entering the top 50? I would go for:

The Inbetweeners
Gavin and Stacey
Outnumbered
Benidorm
IT Crowd
The Thick of It
Peep Show

You go modern, I'll go retro:

Citizen Smith
Ever Decreasing Circles
On The Buses
Up Pompeii!
George & Mildred
Terry & June
Bless This House
Sykes
The Lovers
Sorry!

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2011, 6:59 PM GMT

(who, for example, actually remembers Gimme Gimme Gimme all that fondly now?)

Me.

(Although I'm not sure it'd be top 50 - but then I've not counted up my favourites in a very, very long time.)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 29 2011, 7:10 PM GMT

If I was a betting man, I would. Top 50 worthy in reality though? Yeah, possibly.

''Keeping Up Appearances'' gets my vote.

The 2004 list had no Spaced. Oh dear.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 29 2011, 7:10 PM GMT

I'd bet money on OFaH going down in position and Fawlty Towers going up.

Looking over the 2004 list; Miranda is better than several shows like The Thin Blue Line, Dinnerladies, My Family, Red Dwarf, The Brittas Empire and Goodnight Sweetheart... and just as good as plenty of others.

Quote: MTpromises @ February 13 2011, 11:35 PM GMT

Looking over the 2004 list; Miranda is better than several shows like The Thin Blue Line, Dinnerladies, My Family, Red Dwarf, The Brittas Empire and Goodnight Sweetheart... and just as good as plenty of others.

Yes, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, and indeed just as mediocre as many other shows that should not trouble anyone's top 50.

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2011, 6:59 PM GMT

This summer :)

Each of our guides will have a section where you can give the show a score out of 5 (or maybe 10), and optionally write your own review too. We'll collect up the scores and the programmes with the highest votes will appear on our list.

We've not launched it yet for a few reasons, including that we've still got to work out some fair maths (a comedy with 9,000 votes making an average of '4.9' is obviously better than a comedy that has a single vote giving it a score of '5'), and because the actual voting mechanism is only half built.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the results are though - will traditional comedies like Fawlty Towers still ride high, or will newer shows like The Office be people's favourites? Many of those shows you've suggested there certainly have a chance of getting in the Top 50 in place of other stuff (who, for example, actually remembers Gimme Gimme Gimme all that fondly now?)

Right - thanks for that explanation.

Looking forward to the revamped top 50 :)

Any official date for the update yet? :D

I reckon Royle Family and Men Behaving Badly will move up, Dad's Army, Open All Hours, Porridge and Yes Minister will move down and new stuff like Gavin And Stacey and Outnumbered will join the top 10. :)