Why Comedy Works

Comedy works because it can heal us emotionally. Think about how you feel after experiencing an episode of gut wrenching laughter. Perhaps you've watched a funny movie or maybe you've attended a professional comedy show. Do you feel cleansed, renewed, and energized? If so, chances are that you've had a cathartic experience. According to Wikipedia, catharsis refers to a sudden emotional climax that evokes feelings of great laughter or any other extreme change in emotion, resulting in restoration, renewal and revitalization in members of the audience. These intense feelings of euphoria and good humour can last for up to 45 minutes afterward. The long term emotional benefits of laughter include a decrease in stress levels and a more relaxed attitude. Maybe if you laugh more frequently, you'll find yourself cursing your boss under your breath less often and perhaps you'll even altogether stop flipping the bird to all the other drivers on the freeway.

According to a study done at Texas A& M, comedy works because it makes us more hopeful. Scientists showed half of the test subjects a funny video; the other half of the participants viewed nothing. Participants who watched the laughter invoking video scored higher on a survey of hopefulness than their non-laughing counterparts. Laugh more and you'll experience more hopefulness and with the often depressing affairs of the world today who couldn't use a little more hope in their daily lives?

Comedy works because it holds the power to heal our bodies. Laughter may provide emotional strength and endurance to people struggling with hardships. A friend of mine, whom I'll call Chrissy, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Instead of becoming depressed, Chrissy was determined to use humour to deal with her illness. She donned a purple wig and laughed at every opportunity. Chrissy chuckled with friends, watched funny movies, and went to professional comedy presentations. Today, after a long and hard battle, she is cancer free. According to a study at the University of Maryland, people with heart disease are 40% less likely to laugh compared to people the same age with no heart disease. Laughing can prevent high blood pressure, strokes, arthritis, heart disease and ulcers. Laughter truly can be the best medicine.

Comedy works because it reduces stress and keeps sickness at bay. Laughing has been proven to strengthen the immune system making it easier for our bodies to fight nasty infections and viruses. Humor can also trigger the release of endorphins, a feel-good chemical our bodies produce. These endorphins make us feel happy and stress-free.

Comedy really does work. Get out there and laugh loud and often! Your spirit, your heart and your health just may depend upon a daily dose of laughter.

:|

Quote: Xolture @ February 25 2011, 11:23 AM GMT

Wanking works because it can heal us emotionally. Think about how you feel after experiencing an episode of gut wrenching Wanking. Perhaps you've watched a dirty movie or maybe you've attended a professional Wanking show. Do you feel cleansed, renewed, and energized? If so, chances are that you've had a wank. According to Wankipedia, catharsis refers to a sudden emotional climax that evokes feelings of great horniness or any other extreme change in emotion, resulting in restoration, renewal and revitalization in members of the audience. These intense feelings of euphoria and good Wanking can last for up to 45 minutes afterward. The long term emotional benefits of Wanking include a decrease in stress levels and a more relaxed attitude. Maybe if you wank more frequently, you'll find yourself cursing your boss under your breath less often and perhaps you'll even altogether stop flipping your cock at all the other drivers on the freeway.

According to a study done at Texas A& M, wanking works because it makes us more hopeful. Scientists showed half of the test subjects a dirty video; the other half of the participants viewed nothing. Participants who watched the dirty invoking video scored higher on a survey of hopefulness than their non-wanking counterparts. Wank more and you'll experience more hopefulness and with the often depressing affairs of the world today who couldn't use a little more hope in their daily lives?

Wanking works because it holds the power to heal our bodies. Wanking may provide emotional strength and endurance to people struggling with hardships. A friend of mine, whom I'll call Chrissy, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Instead of becoming depressed, Chrissy was determined to use wanking to deal with her illness. She donned a purple wig and Wanked at every opportunity. Chrissy wanked with friends, watched dirty movies, and went to professional wanking presentations. Today, after a long and hard battle, she is cancer free. According to a study at the University of Maryland, people with heart disease are 40% less likely to wank compared to people the same age with no heart disease. Wanking can prevent high blood pressure, strokes, arthritis, heart disease and ulcers. Wanking truly can be the best medicine.

Wanking works because it reduces stress and keeps sickness at bay. Wanking has been proven to strengthen the immune system making it easier for our bodies to fight nasty infections and viruses. Wanking can also trigger the release of endorphins, a feel-good chemical our bodies produce. These endorphins make us feel happy and stress-free.

Wanking really does work. Get out there and wank loud and often! Your spirit, your heart and your health just may depend upon a daily dose of Wanking.

I dunno some of us just find it better than Horlicks for getting some kip.

Quote: Griff @ February 25 2011, 11:40 AM GMT

Well done, University of Maryland. Who would have guessed.

They also invented chocolate chip cookies.

Steady on, Patch Adams.

*shakes head sadly as the British Cynicism Guide roars to life*

Quote: Xolture @ February 25 2011, 11:23 AM GMT

Participants who watched the laughter invoking video scored higher on a survey of hopefulness than their non-laughing counterparts.

Why say "laughter invoking" when you can say "gelogenic"?

Quote: Kenneth @ February 25 2011, 12:25 PM GMT

Why say "laughter invoking" when you can say "gelogenic"?

As he's from Indonesia, we should be grateful he's copied someone else's English and not tried to construct it himself.

Quote: Aaron @ February 25 2011, 12:34 PM GMT

As he's from Indonesia, we should be grateful he's copied someone else's English and not tried to construct it himself.

Luar biasa! Saya senang banget kalau ada orang Indonesia disini. Wes ewes-ewes, bablas angine.

chances are that you've had a cathartic experience.

He/she uses the word cathartic. I know this word is generally used to mean you have rid yourself of something or purged your soul.

But it actually means you have shit yourself lol, or at least had a bowel movement.

Can't say I would be impressed if I had a good laugh then 'had a cathartic experience'

Hahaha!

Christ, is there a Colemanballs specifically for statistics? There ought to be!

'people with heart disease are 40% less likely to laugh compared to people the same age with no heart disease.'

F**k me - you don't say! And there was I - thinking that having heart disease was a riot!

or....

'People who have just died are 100% less likely to laugh compared to people the same age who are still alive'

Seriously, though, clinical depression is a lethal mental illness that claims the lives of literally thousands of victims every year in the UK through suicide in the very worst cases: although it's not completely clear what causes it, the absence of happiness in the lives of those who suffer from advanced states of depression is a definate factor.

Comedy in your life could help keep the blues at bay better than the likes of alcohol or non-prescription drugs, which would likely compound the problems of those with bad depression or mental illness of this type.

Not me. I would have guessed 63.8%.