Current radio comedy Page 51

It was interesting listening to It's Your Round last night. The problem with this programme is that because the panellists choose the rounds you never know whether it is going to be great or a flop. I like Miles's round in which his father was asked questions, and Sara's round about promoting their home town, but I wasn't sure about Rufus and Adam's rounds.

Quote: chipolata @ February 3 2011, 6:33 PM GMT

It also seemed to contain an inordinate amount of "fat" jokes. I don't mind the odd fat joke, but a large chunk seemed to be built....

If that's a deliberate pun, then well done, sir!

Laughing out loud

Quote: dellas @ February 11 2011, 4:36 AM GMT

:| Just listened to Tom wigglesworth, rather overlong about plumbing, and Chuckle brothers, needs a couple of complaints to spread the 'fun'.
Last saturdays 'News Quiz' Sandi Toksvig, 5 feb, was a treat, I like the female Susan Calman her accent is a killer!.

Is there a male Susan Calman then?

;)

Ooh ooh has anyone mentioned The Bob Servant Emails?

Quote: Mannikin Bird @ February 20 2011, 10:34 PM GMT

Ooh ooh has anyone mentioned The Bob Servant Emails?

When's it on?

Quote: chipolata @ February 20 2011, 10:42 PM GMT

When's it on?

Radio 4 Wednesday 11.15pm, just 15 min episodes. There's one episode available on the iPlayer.

At the risk of being told off for posting in the wrong place, but as this is about listening and not writing the right place seems wrong, Newsjack.

I absolutely hate the new NewsFox feature. I cringe whenever I hear it. Every time they say Englandshire or equivalent I hear Jon Culshaw doing his sixth billionth impression of George Bush.

And to make it worse, the News Bullet used to be my favourite part of the show.

Quote: Michael in London @ February 21 2011, 11:05 AM GMT

At the risk of being told off for posting in the wrong place, but as this is about listening and not writing the right place seems wrong, Newsjack.

I absolutely hate the new NewsFox feature. I cringe whenever I hear it. Every time they say Englandshire or equivalent I hear Jon Culshaw doing his sixth billionth impression of George Bush.

And to make it worse, the News Bullet used to be my favourite part of the show.

I think Newsjack has always struggled with it's features, and always seems to fall back on the Miles-interviewing-a-guest formula. Although I have only listened to the first episode this series so I can't comment on how this batch compares to Series 1 to 3.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 8 2011, 10:27 PM GMT

Is Tom Wrigglesworth the one who sounds like Daniel Kitson with the Comedy removed?

Yes. I once turned on the radio when Tom was halfway through a routine and listened completely gobsmacked.

"Wh...wh...when did Kitson start doing Radio 4?" I asked myself, fighting back the tears. "And why isn't he being funny?"

I enjoyed Brian Gulliver's Travels. It is not really a LOL-style of comedy but it does seem to be a very clever show.

Quote: chipolata @ February 21 2011, 12:47 PM GMT

I think Newsjack has always struggled with it's features, and always seems to fall back on the Miles-interviewing-a-guest formula. Although I have only listened to the first episode this series so I can't comment on how this batch compares to Series 1 to 3.

I do not mind the interview format so much. It makes a sensible narrative for the show as a kind-of spoof news magazine. Standalone sketches can seem out of place where they cannot be introduced in a way that would fit with this. And with Miles being a character it also allows the interview format to be reversed with the guest being played straight and lets the humour come from his reactions. I know it is not much, but it does a little more variation to break up the show from being just interviews with a parade of silly characters.

The current series seems a little down from previous ones, but other than the NewsFox section I am still enjoying it. Although now I would probably put the Now Show ahead of it as my second favourite British satirical show behind The Bugle.

I see Bleak Expectations is jumping ship to telly: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000473/bleak_expectations_to_transfer_to_tv/

Dan

Bleak's radio to the bone, so it's hard to imagine this working that well, except maybe as animation.

Has anyone heard if 'Old Harry's game' is coming back?

Quote: Baumski @ February 22 2011, 5:18 PM GMT

Has anyone heard if 'Old Harry's game' is coming back?

Well there was the two Christmas specials just over a month ago, so it might be a while before there is any more.

Ah well, fingers crossed that hits iTunes sooner as opposed to later.