Hattie Page 2

I quite enjoyed this although I also thought Ruth Jones, who for most of it did a reasonable job , just struggled a bit here and there to be 100% convincing in carrying off the role completely. Some of the facial expressions and mannerisms didn't totally work for me and I still was thinking Nessa occasionally.

The personal lives of comedians/comic actors are often tawdry, seedy and uninspiring - and if they're not, no-one's really interested in them, it seems. Beyond her actual work as an actor, I have little-to-no interest in finding out more about the (obviously incredibly selfish, whatever the minor mitigating factors) woman behind it. She was a fairly heartless cheating bitch, married to an ineffectual, self-loathing cuckold. The fact they were both reasonably strong and successful light comic actors doesn't make that any more interesting to me.

The reason these things continue to be made are because we Brits are suckers for the "tears behind the laughter" story and, ultimately, we are also gluttons for a good bit of gossip.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 20 2011, 12:38 AM GMT

The personal lives of comedians/comic actors are often tawdry, seedy and uninspiring - and if they're not, no-one's really interested in them, it seems. Beyond her actual work as an actor, I have little-to-no interest in finding out more about the (obviously incredibly selfish, whatever the minor mitigating factors) woman behind it. She was a fairly heartless cheating bitch, married to an ineffectual, self-loathing cuckold. The fact they were both reasonably strong and successful light comic actors doesn't make that any more interesting to me.

The reason these things continue to be made are because we Brits are suckers for the "tears behind the laughter" story and, ultimately, we are also gluttons for a good bit of gossip.

You're right in what you say Tim, but even so, I think it is no less valid to portray this as drama - what is essentially a frothy bit of showbiz history and tittle-tattle - than say any other historical event, whether it be inconsequential or earth-shattering. It is just that, a story, and were it even to be entirely fictitious then I don't really suppose it would be any better or worse for that as a piece of entertainment.

Certainly the makers and writers don't have to fill in a lot of the back story, as they are probably right in assuming most that might watch a show of this ilk would already know a lot about the characters.

Quote: Griff @ February 20 2011, 1:01 AM GMT

Arthur - The Home Of Ancient Banter,

What channel number is that? Do I need a special viewing card? Must have it...must have it...No hang on it's called Bio isn't it?

Quote: Griff @ February 20 2011, 1:01 AM GMT

Arthur - The Home Of Ancient Banter

:D

Was looking forward to this, bit let down by it, but not too bad really.

There have been better ones like Enid and Fantabulosa (or however you spell it).

Could do with one on Joan Sims next, never gets much recognition.

Well said that man.

Quote: Timbo @ February 20 2011, 1:25 PM GMT

Well said that man.

Here, Timbo, don't suppose I can interest you in a year's subscription to The News of the World?

;)

She was a fairly heartless cheating bitch, married to an ineffectual, self-loathing cuckold.

How can you expect anybody to take that comment seriously? A woman married to a cuckoo? You'll be telling us next she was a direct descendant of that King George geezer. Stuff and nonsense man.