Only In America: A Novel by Dominic Holland

Thought this needed a thread. Great 2003 romantic comedy novel by stand-up Dominic Holland. It's about a female aspiring scriptwriter whose new script just might get her out of her frustrating job at a hotel. The script falls into the path of a big-shot Hollywood producer who loves it. Problem is, it's written under an alias and he knows nothing about the writer other than she's somewhere in England. So he hot-foots it to the UK and books into a hotel ... little knowing that this is where the writer actually works.

Perhaps I haven't given the plot-summation justice, but it's a cracking, innocent read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-America-Dominic-Holland/dp/0340819863/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It sounds a bit like a Mills & Boon!
But that's not meant to be an insult.
In my experience, comedians write pretty good fiction, so it's probably quite good.

My problem with books written by comedians is that I always hear their voice in my head when I'm reading. It ruins the illusion.

Quote: Griff @ February 12 2011, 3:35 PM GMT

Has Joe Pasquale written a book?

:D (Although he probably has)

Quote: chipolata @ February 12 2011, 3:34 PM GMT

My problem with books written by comedians is that I always hear their voice in my head when I'm reading. It ruins the illusion.

So doesn't that apply to all authors who are famous enough to have ever been on TV?

Quote: zooo @ February 12 2011, 3:39 PM GMT

So doesn't that apply to all authors who are famous enough to have ever been on TV?

To an extent. Although with comedians we're much more familiar with their rhythms and cadences, so much so that their books begin to feel like extended stand up routines. At least to me.

Oh I see.
I quite like hearing an author's voice in my head. Unless they have an annoying one, obviously.
Presumably the rest of the time, you just hear your voice?

Quote: zooo @ February 12 2011, 3:50 PM GMT

Oh I see. I quite like hearing an author's voice in my head. Unless they have an annoying one, obviously. Presumably the rest of the time, you just hear your voice?

I suppose.