Saturday Night Live Page 2

Quote: Charisma @ March 3, 2008, 1:00 PM

I never really understood the aim of this programme?

It's a skit comedy that is hosted by a different celebrity each week. So basically just different skits, with some recurring characters. It also has a musical guest who usually preforms two short sets. It has also had sketches with animation (Mr. Bill, The Ambiguously Gay Duo) and at first the Muppets.
Lorne Micheals (the creator of the show) basically when around and collected some of the best of the comedy trope "Second City" back in the mid 70's and as a result we got some of the funniest (in my opinion) comedians of our time working together each week. It's this history of talent that has kept the show running as long as it has. I doubt the show would be as popular with the same cast using a different name for the show.

I'd say without SNL much of modern comedy would be very different.

The current offering is not brilliant, it has to be said, but it's gone through several re-inventions before.

Apparently everyone said it wouldn't last when they replaced Chevy Chase with Bill Murray!

To the awesome original cast, then Eddie Murphy years and on to Carvey, Myers, Farley, Spade and Rock, then more recently Ferrell, it's pretty much responsible or at least a major proving ground for most box-office busting US comedy.

I think there's a tendency to consider Americans poor comedy relations, but alongside at least 3 of my top 5 stand ups the US has SNL, which is by far the best comedy sketch show ever...it's been producing the best for over 30 years, and it probaly will again.

They are repeating some of these on Sky Arts
I saw an old one with Candice Bergen as host
It had Belushi, Chase, Akroyd & Curtin.
And Andy Kaufman was doing Latka ( not sure if it was pre Taxi. )

Just started watching tonights ep

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore
Result!

you can watch it online.there are many websites that list it.I still watch it.good fun.

Eric Idle & Neil Innes last week.

But this week is Paul Simon & George Harrison & they are duetting Here comes the Sun & Homeward Bound

I've got the entire run at my fingertips now on Netflix.
I know that everyones favourites are Joe Piscopo & Kevin Nealon.
But give me Darrell Hammond anyday

Ok sorry to resurrect this thread with me extolling the virtues of SNL eight years ago ( there may be another thread )
But on revisiting the show recently I did catch a funny Michael Jackson Cartoon done in a Hannah Barbera style they showed back in the court case days

Here is the link and it is quite funny, if a bit dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYyEhm9iMs

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 15th March 2013, 1:08 AM

I've got the entire run at my fingertips now on Netflix.
I know that everyones favourites are Joe Piscopo & Kevin Nealon.
But give me Darrell Hammond anyday

Lolz at 2013 Steve
I got that joke even if no one else did

I saw Kevin Nealon (headliner), and newcomers Adam Sandler and Chris Rock at a performance at my university in Florida in 1992. The price of admission was 25 cents. I brought my Army buddy and we smuggled about 10 beers from the student union in our jacket pockets.

Nice

RIP Norm Macdonald