BBC Comedy cutbacks Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 28 2011, 11:40 PM GMT

Do you mean this in terms of a change in its programme-making ethos, or simply the way it's become increasingly beholden to government and generally lost its independence?

Tim, you seem to talk as if the two issues are separate. Silly boy.

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2011, 6:32 PM GMT

I'm sure we can provide the BBC with a list of shows that we won't miss if they're axed ;)

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle ad infinitum.

Quote: Aaron @ January 30 2011, 4:12 PM GMT

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle ad infinitum.

Pretty much the cheapest comedy show to shoot EVER.

And only takes up six half hours a year.

Seems ironic that at the same time as they announce cutbacks, two of the most abysmal - "Come Fly with Me" and "Grandma's House" have been recommissioned.

Only needs them to announce another run of "Coming of Age" and they'll have made it a hat trick.

This has been raised before, but how much does your average sitcom or panel show actually cost? And is there much variation within those kinds of shows? For example, does Rev cost more than Grandma's House, or are they all much of a muchness?

Quote: David2006 @ February 1 2011, 8:07 AM GMT

Seems ironic that at the same time as they announce cutbacks, two of the most abysmal - "Come Fly with Me" and "Grandma's House" have been recommissioned.

It's probably less risky to recommission than to commission a brand new show. I'm assuming what they have greenlit for a second series now have a built in fanbase that will tune in for seconds.

Quote: David2006 @ February 1 2011, 8:07 AM GMT

No irony present; Grandma's House is top-notch, and Come Fly With Me has been a pretty big success.

For comedy cutbacks look no further than Danny Cohen where he is undertaking a cull all of his own and worst of all, he'll be allowed to get away with it.

Shows that should be banned

Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June Terry and June

... No.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 1 2011, 10:02 AM GMT

No irony present; Grandma's House is top-notch, and Come Fly With Me has been a pretty big success.

Nothing to do with irony, I saw the first two episodes of "Grandma's House" and IMO they were both shockingly abysmal. Fair do's if anyone likes it - subjectiveness of comedy and all that.

I'm surprised at the success of CFWM although I suppose it has maintained the Little Britain tradition of just doing the same jokes every week and getting away with it so I suppose there was a winning formula there.

Quote: Badge @ January 28 2011, 10:58 PM GMT

My prediction is that Not Going Out will be axed again and replaced on BBC1 by Miranda. You read it here first.

Well, part of that may come true because of this... https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000460/tim_vine_quitting_not_going_out/

I fear that they may use this an excuse to axe the programme (again) but I hope they don't - there's certainly no reason that the show can't go on without him.

Just as long as they don't bring Miranda Hart back becasue it has been so much better without her awful presence!!!

Quote: David2006 @ February 7 2011, 10:02 PM GMT

I fear that they may use this an excuse to axe the programme (again) but I hope they don't - there's certainly no reason that the show can't go on without him.

Really?! Maybe in the series after next Lee can leave too and it can just carry on! After a certain point, I think it's time to give it up.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 7 2011, 9:06 PM GMT

Well, part of that may come true because of this... https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000460/tim_vine_quitting_not_going_out/

Why would anyone do this? It's hard enough to get the chemistry of a series right in the first place. I suppose they always imagine they are going on to better things. I wonder how often they do.

I do happen to know the Beeb are making a new series of Two Pints of Lager. Let's all hope and pray to whatever voodoo idols we worship that this series will be the last.