Attempting to start open-mic night in Bristol Page 2

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 23 2011, 9:32 AM GMT

The Cider House Rules.

>_<

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 23 2011, 9:32 AM GMT

The Cider House Rules.

:D

We could all just go there and take it over. Or is that one of those things that people wouldn't appreaciate?

Any news on anything starting or the cider house?

Not currently. The cider house didn't respond to my e-mail. If someone recommends a pub that is likely to be able to cater to open mic comedy I am happy to e-mail them and ask about starting there. However my knowledge of Bristol pubs isn't fantastic to be perfectly honest and I'm not sure where to start.

Quote: Hopey @ January 20 2011, 1:16 AM GMT

I've never done anything like this at all so I may need help with:

letting enough people know about its existence;
choosing a venue;
deciding how to actually run the thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Quote: Hopey @ January 26 2011, 4:54 PM GMT

my knowledge of Bristol pubs isn't fantastic to be perfectly honest and I'm not sure where to start.

It's really coming to something isn't it, when a BCGer literally can't organise a piss-up in a brewery? :(

Downstairs in Channings?

Quote: don rushmore @ January 27 2011, 7:57 PM GMT

It's really coming to something isn't it, when a BCGer literally can't organise a piss-up in a brewery? :(

Good effort, but... this thread quite clearly IS an attempt at organisation; and I would say that its quite reasonable for someone who is a resident of a city for barely half of each calendar year to ask the people that are full time residents for advice on venues.

Also I'm not really sure whether you actually know what a BREWERY is. Assuming from the use of the word that you don't here is a definition: An establishment for the manufacture of malt liquors, such as beer and ale.

We are not trying to organise anything in a brewery we are aiming for a PUB, just so you know what that is I have found a quick definition for Pub: Chiefly Brit a building with a bar and one or more public rooms licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic drink, often also providing light meals Formal name public house.

I will e-mail channings.

Ta

there used to be a few in bristol. the famous 'bunch of grapes' near the hippodrome used to, then there was the 'hatchetts' after that. now I think there is one in totterdown, one in clevedon, one up at 'channings' which is a mix of open mic and established.

You wouldn't happen to know the names of the venues in Totterdown and Clevedon would you?

The venue in Clevedon is "The Moon and Sixpence" and if you pop down next Thursday (10th Feb) you'll get to see me strutting my comedic stuff.

:)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/19856/

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 4 2011, 4:44 PM GMT

The venue in Clevedon is "The Moon and Sixpence" and if you pop down next Thursday (10th Feb) you'll get to see me strutting my comedic stuff.

:)

oooh, lovely. let me know how it goes. that's rob c's gig isn't it?
keep meaning to gig there but transport is a prob at the moment.

not sure of the totterdown gig name, sorry.

Looking forward to seeing how this organisation goes. Came across the thread trying, and failing, to find a stand-up open mic night.

I know the 'Old Market Tavern' in Bristol used to do a night. Not sure where it went, perhaps just the promoter stopped? Maybe they want to do it again?

Only suitale place I can think of in Totterdown is the Thunderbolt, it's pretty much a music venue, but it does have enough seating available and I reckon it would suit stand-up.

I'm sure there are plenty of places that could be pursuaded to branch out: Mr Wolfs, Start the Bus, The Upstairs of the Hatchett is empty a bunch of nights, so's the Attic at the bottom of stokes croft I think.

Cheers Billy, I will get round to e-mailing them in the week. Been a bit tied up recently with the chortle student comedy competition, but I imagine that by Wednesday that will no longer be a distraction.

Thanks again.