Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 38

Big fan of Frankie Boyle, but got to say the majority of his show was pretty garbage.

He is a great stand up who could conjur the most random but brilliant intellectual lines! But why did he resort to the shit sketches?

Not sure.

HBO want him though! Can't have been too bad...

He's a decent stand-up who was very well suited to the Mock The Week panel-show-esque format. Tramadol Nights failed because:
a) The stand-up wasn't his best for the majority of the time
b) He's not an actor and didn't seem comfortable in the sketches
c) Far far too long sketches, even on the occasions the underlying idea was good

I didn't find it offensive, I just found it dull and unfunny.

Quote: Ian G @ February 2 2011, 7:32 PM GMT

Ah right, I get it now. Your idea of countering an argument is to hurl insults at whoever disagrees with you, making sure that you mention the thread's title so it stays 'on topic', and generally throw your dummy out of your pram. You really do need to grow up, my friend.

I actually fell asleep whilst reading this as the use of language is so poor. 'Throw your dummy out of your pram', 'grow up' - can't you think of your own metaphors?

Anyway, you've actually described yourself, not me - you're the principal insult flinger around here, accusing me of 'having a bee in my bonnet' and being a 'whining sycophant'. Up till that point I merely suggested you transcribe some of the jokes from the pissed-up tramp you said FB reminded you of as you would be able to sell them. That's just sensible advice or if you understand figurative language and rhetoric a very polite way of saying that what you said was nonsensical.

I don't have any trouble constructing a counter argument, and unlike you I don't make fun of someone for having a different view. ('Bee in their bonnet')

Quote: Ian G @ February 2 2011, 7:32 PM GMT

For the record, and to stay on topic (hurrah!), I don't think that FB is a bad stand up at all. I just think he tried to shock just for the sake of it and he let himself down badly with a show as poor as TN.

That's okay, that's your view but lets take it a bit further... You said that the sketches were 'garbage'. I helpfully transcribed one above. I think that speech is funny, subversive and profound all at the same time. It's also post-structualist in it's textual and narrative playfulness, like much of TN. I was hoping that Walker would sober up and comment on it, but it would be great to have your take.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 3 2011, 4:58 PM GMT

I was hoping that Walker would sober up and comment on it, but it would be great to have your take.

As it happens, Walker sobered-up nearly 2 years ago and hasn't touched a drop since, but don't let the facts stop you...

Well done Tim, that must have taken great courage

Godot you've just perfectly illustrated why over the top offensive gags don't always work

albiet I snorted tea when you accused IanG of masturbating.

Guys, this is getting needlessly personal now. You're clearly not going to reach any kind of agreement on this, as you - particularly Ian and Godot - have fundamentally differing views on the show. Let's not continue bickering like this please.