South west stand up

im new to stand up and am wanting to try my first time on stage.
I live around the bath/bristol area and was wondering of any clubs/people to contact about getting a set.
Any help?
Thanks
Chefman

Hello Chefman- welcome! Having trouble finding details of open mic only nights in Bristol but this thread might help point you in the right direction:

http://forums.chortle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=319315

Hi,
thanks, helpful but only one I could find that would take amateurs was the taunton one, as went on jesters website and they say they only take pros and also taunton is quite far im happy to travel but would rather have a gig a bit closer to home for my first one. On the thread they kept suggesting people how do you contact/find them.

Facebook!

You might be best off scouring facebook for some local open mic comedians and getting in touch to find out which gigs they are playing. Or start a thread in the Chortle forum writing section asking for other open spots in SW to make themselves know, although that's not nearly as friendly and welcoming a board.

Just spotten this lady is an admin the the UK Open Mic list on Facebook, and is located in Bristol. I'm willing to bet she's a very good person to ask if you're nice and polite :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15114049266#!/sara.benham1

I'm a student in Bristol also looking for open mike stand-up comedy in the city/around the city. The closest I've found so far is in Cardiff (convenient). I actually came on the forum today to post pretty much the same question as you. Although I was going to also ask if anyone would like to try and set something up- its not as though there is a shortage of pubs in the area and I'm willing to bet someone would be interested in hosting something.

There did used to be an open mic night, for comedy only, at the Hatchett but that stopped in the summer for an unexplained reason.

If you're interested in trying to start something then let me know and I'm sure that there would be enough interest to start some kind of night.

Hope you are interested.

PS: Sorry if I sound like a mad person- I'm supposed to be cooking enchiladas for my girlfriend and I didn't have much time to write this, but didn't want to risk forgetting/missing the opportunity.

I had the same thought a while ago - surely Bristol can sustain an open mic? Would be interesting.

Mark Olver used to have one at The Bunch of Grapes on Denmark Street - but it was sparsely attended (but not that well promoted - and generally just the same bunch of comedy mates as far a I could tell - the barman was the funniest). Think there was something at the Channings after, but has gone.

Alma has a theatre upstairs - not necessarily the best for open mic but I did wonder whether a NewsRevue type thing would work.

Make sure you do a lot of revision before jumping into running a night. Speak to Tony Cowards (he's on here) for some advice.

Quote: Big Jack @ January 17 2011, 9:32 PM GMT

I had the same thought a while ago - surely Bristol can sustain an open mic? Would be interesting.

Mark Olver used to have one at The Bunch of Grapes on Denmark Street - but it was sparsely attended (but not that well promoted - and generally just the same bunch of comedy mates as far a I could tell - the barman was the funniest). Think there was something at the Channings after, but has gone.

Alma has a theatre upstairs - not necessarily the best for open mic but I did wonder whether a NewsRevue type thing would work.

the bunch of grapes grew in 2001 from being very sparsely attended to being quite popular. I think there was a new owner who took over from colin and things started to dwindle hence why mark took it to the hatchetts in early 2004 and then started it up from scratch. it could be a hit and miss affair but then pub gigs usually are and it takes a lot of time and commitment as well as support from the owners to make it work.
I take umbrage at the 'comedy mates' remark as I was lucky enough not only to perform with russell howard, jon richardson and wil hodgson at that venue and improve (allbeit very slowly) my own comedy but watch those three not only outgrow that venue at a phenomenal rate but go on to far bigger and better things. I also saw mark get attacked from some lunatic as he tried to turn a bored and far from up for it crowd (including said nutter who attacked him) around, which he did. it was a great place to play but never perfect regrdless I and many others learned a lot from it.

We had a Jongleurs in Bristol but it closed, so maybe it couldn't attract enough business. I think Jesters on Cheltenham Road is still open, and The Tobacco Factory in Southville also host comedy nights I believe.

The Bunch of Grapes is a bit of a dingy bikers pub, people may have been put off with it's location. The Fleece & Ferkin (Bristol) do live music and may be convinced to put on a comedy night.

Also.. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/19901/

Quote: Hopey @ January 17 2011, 6:50 PM GMT

I'm a student in Bristol also looking for open mike stand-up comedy in the city/around the city. The closest I've found so far is in Cardiff (convenient). I actually came on the forum today to post pretty much the same question as you. Although I was going to also ask if anyone would like to try and set something up- its not as though there is a shortage of pubs in the area and I'm willing to bet someone would be interested in hosting something.

There did used to be an open mic night, for comedy only, at the Hatchett but that stopped in the summer for an unexplained reason.

If you're interested in trying to start something then let me know and I'm sure that there would be enough interest to start some kind of night.

Hope you are interested.

PS: Sorry if I sound like a mad person- I'm supposed to be cooking enchiladas for my girlfriend and I didn't have much time to write this, but didn't want to risk forgetting/missing the opportunity.

Hi, Im just starting out in the South west as well (I live in Bath) and im also having trouble finding open mic nights. Could someone send me a link for the one in Taunton please because due to having the IT skills of a blind shrew I can't find it on the internet. I found LOL comedy bristol on facebook, its in Totterdown but is apparently on a break and will be back some point in 2011. :)

The fabulous Mr Olver is running open Mic nights every Sunday at Channings hotel in Clifton. And bloody great they are too. Only £2 to get in, usually packed and he's really cool about encouraging new acts. In fact he gave me my first ever slot last week. I didn't set the world on fire but I managed to get to the end without drying up. Now I'm hooked.

Try http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150175165397214&id=677207213#!/group.php?gid=5012013955

Bollocks. I hate computers. That links obviously duff so try this http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5012013955

We're looking to start an open spot comedy night in Bath with paid headliner. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22046/

So looking for folk to take open slots. PM if interested.

And have a look at this as well, not a gig as such but potentially somewhere to practise material with other locals comics if stage time is hard to come by:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22145/

Total amateaur would-be standup here in Gloucestershire interested in an open mic night. Just adding my voice to the list.

Its a bit of a slog down to Bristol without a car but could be worth it to try standup. Not to mention chat with comedians.