Muse = trash
Pixies = trash
Guns 'N' Roses = some good songs, but mainly trash

Quote: Zachary Greenwood @ February 2 2011, 6:03 PM GMT

Pixies = trash

Whaaat?! Pixies = alt. rock gods.

Sorry.
I only listen to proper rock.

Dance rock, hip-hop rock, alternative rock, reggae rock and rap rock (except metal and screamo) I generally don't consider to be rock, therefore it's trash. I respect the Pixies as artists; it was just a generalization of that type of music that I don't like.

It's kinda hard to explain. Pixies type of music among the ones mentioned above give me a headache but proper punk, metal, and some screamo doesn't.

Again, sorry.

But Muse are definitely f**ked up cocksuckers.

So you don't judge music by whether you like it or not, you find out first if it's 'proper rock' and then decide if you like it.

;)

No. Not what I meant.

I put on Kerrang! and listen to all kinds of rock. If you listen to that station, you know they play every kind of rock. I listen to rock because it means something to me. When it gets mixed in with the other music types I mentioned, to me, at least, it becomes 'just a tune'. I respect all music artists, not necessarily the music they play, but they must make someone happy and I like that. What I consider proper rock is what I like, but I listen to all of it and keep an open mind about it, but to this day, I've never liked anything other than what I would call 'proper rock'. I didn't mean to say that I only listened to proper rock, I listen to it all, it's just I only like 'proper rock'. I don't judge any music before I hear it.

Regarding Muse and the Pixies, it is as simple as not liking their music or style, and that's fine. People listen to whatever they want and I just don't care.

Is okay, I was only messing. ;)

I've hardly heard any Pixies, although most bands seem to cite them as a big influence.

Quote: Zachary Greenwood @ February 4 2011, 7:02 PM GMT

What I consider proper rock is what I like, but I listen to all of it and keep an open mind about it, but to this day, I've never liked anything other than what I would call 'proper rock'. I didn't mean to say that I only listened to proper rock, I listen to it all, it's just I only like 'proper rock'.

So, in a nutshell, you only like rock that you like, and have never liked any rock that you didn't like?

And isn't Kerrang that music channel that just plays Marilyn Manson and My Chemical Romance all day every bloody day?

Okay, to zooo: I know, I'm knew at this, you know what it's like when you feel strongly about somet'. I heard good things about this 'internet' after avoiding it since it became big in 2,000, but after it refused to die down, I bit the bullet last year with my first email address and several months later I heard of this 'forum'. After working out what the hell a 'forum' was (other than a funny word), I thought it time to bite another bullet and sign up. Quite a cast of characters on here, aren't there? And I do realize that my total lack of knowledge of this internet malarkey does make me seem like a 40-year-old codger when I'm closer to half that. And the Pixies are good at what they do and I do respect them, their music, and their talent, but not for me. Give me Green Day any day. They helped me through some bad sh*t.
To flidder: Yeah. Basically. When you put it like that I do sound like a complete tool. Oh crap. Anywho, I wasn't referring to the channel, I was referring to the radio station. It's very different, especially during the day and I really don't like the music channel anyway. Kerrang! after 9 is a wonderfully dark place, and after midnight, it's a wonderfully loud place. And by 2 your headache is so extreme you forget who you are. It saves me having to do drugs which I hate. I'm also not very fond of piercings or tattoos, so not a traditional 'rocker'. I also get most of my clothes from Tesco, so not a very 'rock' look going on either. I'm not saying that all 'rockers' are covered in piercings and tattoos (I better say that now before another argument erupts), but a lot of them are. Okay, I'm going to shut up now.

Wow, you managed to avoid the internet for 10 years? If I'd done that I would have got so much done!
*thinks wistfully*

I'm surprised about how vocal you were about 'proper rock' and then referenced Green Day. I like them and stuff, but I wouldn't have considered them 'proper rock'. I assumed you meant ACDC, Led Zep et al.

Neither Green Day or Pixies are exactly classic, are they? Much prefer Pixies, but I like the creepy.

I can't say I'm too bothered about NMTB. It ranks alongside 8/10 cats.

Quote: ellipsis @ February 7 2011, 10:51 PM GMT

Neither Green Day or Pixies are exactly classic, are they?

Depends - what do you mean by "classic"? Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are classic records, and alternative rock basically usurped 'classic rock' in the late '80s, with Pixies obviously playing an integral part in popularising that movement. In terms of influence they're up there with the best of them.

They're more deserving of reverence than cheesy three-chord-hard-rockers like AC/DC and Guns N' Roses anyway Sick

I should've kept my mouth shut, shouldn't I?

I think there was the Elvis, early rock, in the '60s, then came punk and metal in the '70s and early '80s, then largely nothing until 2,000.

Classic rock like AC/DC and Led Zep I love, but Green Day were the first rock band I ever heard and they instantly struck a chord with me and made a lot of things make sense. I considered them proper rock because all punk and metal bands are proper rock. Not necessarily good, but they are the genesis of modern rock, even though it was a while ago, if you know what I mean. Green Day formed in 1986 and is probably the last proper punk band left on the planet, with a new album out in March. Punk is so hard to get right most 'punk' bands these days are either metal punk or pop punk, which I hate because it has the tune without the heart.

Bands I like: Black Pyramid, Bullet for my Valentine, Burning Skies, Cancer Bats, DevilDriver, Drowning Pool, FATA, Green Day, Led Zep, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pinhead Gunpowder, Rage Against the Machine, Slayer, Story of the Year, Tidal Arms, Trivium, underOATH, Warship, While She Sleeps - stuff like that that wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that '70s and '80s metal and punk scene.

And yes, I had a happy decade without the internet hoping desperately that it would collapse and humanity would revert back to being human. Sadly, it didn't transpire that way.

And NMTB is awesome, even after 15 years it still makes me laugh and that is its only job. Best primetime quiz show EVER!

Elvis is not just rock, but rock and roll!

All hail the King.

I hear that!