Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 37

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 31 2011, 5:48 PM GMT

I haven't heard your stand up, but I doubt it's better. Do you consider yourself rubbish?

A man whose forum name is a pun on 'wanker' using the name 'Juan' isn't in any position to pronounce on comedy, good or bad - truly. And incidentally, 'Kerr' is correctly pronounced 'car' in English, so your pun is even worse than it appears.

You've got the jump on me Marc, I haven't a clue what you mean.

I don't know where you live but you should start transcribing that pissed up tramp immediately - you might make a few bob.

His daughter asked what the best thing in the world was and he said: "It's you darlin', you're the best thing in the world." She said; "For me it's sausages."

He's used it a few times, like a lot of his jokes.

My my, someone seems to have got a bee in their bonnet. Are you Frankie's agent, or just a common-or-garden whining sycophant?

@Ian G
Your post has been greyed out by a moderator - not because it's off topic but because it was even more shit than normal. There's nothing common-or-garden about me, which you'd well know if you'd been here more than five minutes and hadn't spent all of it masturbating.

@sooty
J, you are the funniest man I have ever met (sorry Dave, Ben, Badge, others). You have the comedy equivalent of what Mozart had, an endlessly self-fertilising seam of pure invention running right out of your mid-brain. You shouldn't bite your tongue about anything, but you're not right if you think this show is rubbish. As I said before a lot of the sketches reminded me of your stuff.

@nat
"So we're fighting a couple of wars - well, we call them wars but basically we're just murdering a bunch of f**king shepherds. And what gets me is our callousness as a society when we read out our dead on the news first, because our lives are more important - other people's lives aren't worth as much. (NEWSANCHOR VOICE) "A bomb went off in Kandahar today, killing two British servicemen, three UN relief workers and a whole bunch of pakis."
Or that thing we do where the minute we stop killing the Shepherds we start building them a f**king hospital. Let's build these people a hospital - (ANGRY) so they're better able to deal with us the next time we're in town. It's a bit like a rapist paying for his victims to take yoga lessons. (RAPIST VOICE) "work on the splits baby, cos I'm coming back."

If you think that's rubbish then you have very high standards indeed. That's as good as anything Bill Hicks wrote, in my view.

Ooh yes I will definitely give you those few jokes. I even wrote an article in which I defended them. They're very good. FB is extremely talented, and the stand up segments were miles above the rest of the show (even though the majority of the other jokes where not anywhere near the standard of those couple of blinders above; many of them simply relied on saying something 'shocking' as the punchline - like 'I was arse raped', 'has mental illness', which is rather lazy feeling by his standards).

The sketches however, when comparing the writing and craft to others currently on TV (from an idiot's POV, as it's the only POV I have unfortunately), felt terribe. Overlong and laugh light for me. And, it seems, for the majority of people on here. The first episode had the best sketch - the Iranian Loose women. It was also the shortest sketch (I think). I don't think this is a coincidence.

I wasn't offended by any of it really - it takes a lot, so my feelings are not coming from a knee-jerk reaction to the content.

I think Frankie Boyle is blatantly offensive and crude.

Quote: lummycorks @ February 1 2011, 6:53 PM GMT

I think Frankie Boyle is blatantly offensive and crude.

But is that good or bad?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 1 2011, 1:35 PM GMT

@Ian G
Your post has been greyed out by a moderator - not because it's off topic but because it was even more shit than normal. There's nothing common-or-garden about me, which you'd well know if you'd been here more than five minutes and hadn't spent all of it masturbating.

And THIS is on-topic?? Anyway, I think Tramadol Nights was the most tremendous, fabulous, laugh-out-loud, superbly acted televisual feast of this or any other era. Now who could possible object to that? Rolling eyes

@Ian G

Come on, you can do better than this...

@nat
"So we're fighting a couple of wars - well, we call them wars but basically we're just murdering a bunch of f**king shepherds. And what gets me is our callousness as a society when we read out our dead on the news first, because our lives are more important - other people's lives aren't worth as much. (NEWSANCHOR VOICE) "A bomb went off in Kandahar today, killing two British servicemen, three UN relief workers and a whole bunch of pakis."
Or that thing we do where the minute we stop killing the Shepherds we start building them a f**king hospital. Let's build these people a hospital - (ANGRY) so they're better able to deal with us the next time we're in town. It's a bit like a rapist paying for his victims to take yoga lessons. (RAPIST VOICE) "work on the splits baby, cos I'm coming back."

You talk as though Frankie Boyle is the first comedian to have ever thought of this. Alexei Sayle riffed on this very theme back in the 1980s and 1990s, both on TV, in his books and in his live work. Others have also done over the years. It's been a staple feature of satirical news items in Private Eye for years.

However, FB reduces the issue to the level of some teenage rant - as though he's the first person in the world that this idea has ever occurred to. Of course this country's national news is going to prioritise reporting of our own dead over that of non-nationals. It may not be right, but neither does it carry with it some implicit racist overtone. (Look at your local TV news - see how it tends to report stories affecting the country as a whole from the point-of-view of how they affect local people?) It certainly doesn't infer that we have some kind of view of other people as lesser humans. And that routine is not enhanced comedically or intellectually by the use of offensive racial epithets. It really isn't.

Defend FB's ability to make people laugh by all means, but don't try and convert the unconvinced by suggesting that his comedy somehow has intellectual or socio-political merit. It's a bunch of easy themes and dirty jokes, that's all. FB's output doesn't subvert comedy (or television) in any way, it merely makes a lot of attention-seeking noise.

@sooty
J, you are the funniest man I have ever met (sorry Dave, Ben, Badge, others). You have the comedy equivalent of what Mozart had, an endlessly self-fertilising seam of pure invention running right out of your mid-brain. You shouldn't bite your tongue about anything, but you're not right if you think this show is rubbish. As I said before a lot of the sketches reminded me of your stuff.

Trying to decide whether this is the most genuine (if somewhat overblown) compliment I've ever read on here, or the most subtly-disguised insult. Errr

Tim I am one of the few people on the forum who Likes Godot and Believes his Truths.

We LGBTs will not be stopped no way no how

Say it loud say it proud I believe Godot and I'm proud!

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 2 2011, 3:07 AM GMT

However, FB reduces the issue to the level of some teenage rant - as though he's the first person in the world that this idea has ever occurred to.

Is there any comedian who doesn't do this? ANY?

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 2 2011, 3:07 AM GMT

You talk as though Frankie Boyle is the first comedian to have ever thought of this. Alexei Sayle riffed on this very theme back in the 1980s and 1990s, both on TV, in his books and in his live work. Others have also done over the years. It's been a staple feature of satirical news items in Private Eye for years.

However, FB reduces the issue to the level of some teenage rant - as though he's the first person in the world that this idea has ever occurred to. Of course this country's national news is going to prioritise reporting of our own dead over that of non-nationals. It may not be right, but neither does it carry with it some implicit racist overtone. (Look at your local TV news - see how it tends to report stories affecting the country as a whole from the point-of-view of how they affect local people?) It certainly doesn't infer that we have some kind of view of other people as lesser humans. And that routine is not enhanced comedically or intellectually by the use of offensive racial epithets. It really isn't.

Defend FB's ability to make people laugh by all means, but don't try and convert the unconvinced by suggesting that his comedy somehow has intellectual or socio-political merit. It's a bunch of easy themes and dirty jokes, that's all. FB's output doesn't subvert comedy (or television) in any way, it merely makes a lot of attention-seeking noise.

Actually all I was trying to do in my previous posts was counter the rather incredible statement made by a few people that FB was a 'rubbish' standup and that Tramadol Nights was also rubbish. It was even suggested that it was made intentionally badly to avoid further shows being commissioned.

I would also counter any claims on here that Picasso couldn't draw or that Dolly Parton didn't have big tits.

I made my views clear on the show much earlier in the thread. I believe it is a dark, subversive and clever programme. It entertained me greatly. It contained material that I thought was OTT, two sketches that I thought were unacceptable and was weak in places. In terms of offensiveness it was certainly no more offensive than the Kevin Bishop show which also contains rape and paedo references and jokes against quadriplegics.

I do not expect other people to like it but it is not rubbish.

As for suggesting that it is 'subversive' or has 'socio-political merit' I've also done that earlier in the thread. I'm happy to take the debate up a notch (and also tried to do that earlier in the thread) but nobody seems to be up to it. You can have a go if you want. Deconstruct the following speech by Robert Florence (The Cowboy):

"Howdy. Now what was the moral of the story this week? It was don't use sex to get love ladies, you can barely use it to get drinks. And that the immaculate conception was bullshit. That was just some guy with the smarts to sew on a pair of wings and get a good story together to f**k an impressionable young girl. Now do you think if I sewed some wings onto my back I couldn't get laid? (CONSIDERS) Actually, it was a lot harder than I thought, but I did manage to get a little boy to go drinking with me when I convinced him I was one of the x-men. A little time in prison about then too. And I remember my cell mate introduced himself to me with the words; "I see my penis as a fist and my fist as a penis." Now that doesn't make him a bad person you understand only a terrible husband and father.

Now if you wanna take umbrage with anything I've said then I suggest you pick up your vorpal cloak and +5 fire sword and meet me down at the end of level 4, where I'll be operated by a thirteen year Chinese boy who can do a Rubik's Cube with his feet and I'm gonna show you heavy fatherf**ker."

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 2 2011, 4:56 PM GMT

It was even suggested that it was made intentionally badly to avoid further shows being commissioned.

It was only a joke, wordy. :)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 2 2011, 4:56 PM GMT

Actually all I was trying to do in my previous posts was counter the rather incredible statement made by a few people that FB was a 'rubbish' standup and that Tramadol Nights was also rubbish.

Ah right, I get it now. Your idea of countering an argument is to hurl insults at whoever disagrees with you, making sure that you mention the thread's title so it stays 'on topic', and generally throw your dummy out of your pram. You really do need to grow up, my friend.

For the record, and to stay on topic (hurrah!), I don't think that FB is a bad stand up at all. I just think he tried to shock just for the sake of it and he let himself down badly with a show as poor as TN.

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2011, 7:21 PM GMT

But is that good or bad?

That's definitely bad.