Not The Nine O'Clock News - Why no proper DVDs?

I always liked the late 90s compilations of Not The Nine O'Clock News, but the sad thing is that I have never seen any of the proper episodes. I am very surprised that the BBC haven't released the proper episodes on DVD - there must be some brilliant sketches that haven't been seen for years.

I know that as well as Failed in Wales and Made From Whales, there was another song called Laid in Wales, but unlike the other two, this didn't make it to the compilations.

A number of factors, I think. Firstly, sketch shows being made commercially available at all are only a relatively recent development.

Secondly, topical programmes are - even now - still less likely to be released. Why? Presumably distributors believe that the public aren't interested in things that reference highly time-dependent matters and issues. HIGNFY, even something like Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Mock The Week - they're happy to repeat them on Dave et al, but distributors for some reason evidently don't believe there's a market. Bonkers.

I do actually have Series 2-4 of Not The Nine O'Clock News and can confirm that some of it would just seem ... really f**king weird and unfunny, without the timely context. But much else still stands up perfectly well, and those 'negative' points certainly don't negate its worth for release, IMO.

Don't know if this is the place to mention this, But I have noticed that on the DVD compilations, there are bits of sketches missing. For example, we're all familiar with the Gramaphone sketch, I discovered that the DVD verson cut out the punchline when I found someone uploaded the proper verson on YouTube, to be honest it wasn't that good a punchline, but still I think without it the sketch is far too open-ended. Also the sketch where Rowan is designing a bathroom with loads of toilets, that's not only missing the punch line, but also the beginning. So basically it's not enough that the full series isn't on DVD, but what is on DVD isn't entirely the whole thing.

Fascinating (genuinely). Never knew that they did that. I would be very f**ked off to find that out if I'd bought the things.

And then no doubt they wonder why people share illegal pirate recordings! Morons.

Quote: Aaron @ February 27 2011, 8:03 PM GMT

Fascinating (genuinely). Never knew that they did that.

To be honest, I don't think anyone did.

I would like nothing better than the full episodes of Not the Nine O'Clock News to be released on DVD. The one compilation that I have contains a lot of sketches with bits missing. Very disappointing.

Quote: John M @ April 2 2011, 2:58 PM BST

I would like nothing better than the full episodes of Not the Nine O'Clock News to be released on DVD.

Yeah, I belive that there are many NTNOCN fans who feel the same way.

Quite pleasing that a show NTNON lampooned,The Two Ronnies, has had most of its series released while the show itself has only has been issued in compilation form

Just been checking these out on Amazon and maybe this thread has answered my question as I notice that all the DVDs available are shown as "The Best Bits..........", which means as sure as eggs are eggs your personal favourite will not be included and you will be bitterly disappointed.
I notice, for example that Chris Langham is barely mentioned yet he was a "founder" member before Griff Rhys Jones came along (I seem to remember) and he featured in some hilarious sketches which I expect are not on the DVDs?

One I remember was on spare part surgery and it was along the lines that when a surgeon was operating on someone and found he needed a "spare part" he rushed to the Spares Department (a la Car Parts), and there was much panic as he couldn't get the part he wanted and in the melee upset a tray of eye balls that spilled all over the counter and floor.

Very funny, but it featured Chris Langham so I expect I will never see it again. :(

Speaking of... http://www.sitcom.co.uk/happy_families/about.shtml The YouTube takes are horribly edited for UK Gold. Like NTNON, I'm amazed how poorly served the alternative burst is by DVDs. Python have bleedin' tomes written about them.
I'd like a full Hardwicke House DVD too but...

Quote: peter gazzard @ 7th April 2011, 9:58 PM

Quite pleasing that a show NTNON lampooned,The Two Ronnies, has had most of its series released while the show itself has only has been issued in compilation form

OUCH!

I would certainly buy Not The Nine O'Clock News if anyone cared to release it. But yes I would want it complete and uncut. There's also many more BBC sketch shows you would expect to be on disc by now including titles like The Dick Emery Show, It's Marty, The Russ Abbot Show & The Kenny Everett Television Show. Maybe there's problems with who owns the rights? Or maybe they have just been overlooked or forgotten about? I don't expect the BBC will be releasing any of these sort of titles themselves because they just don't bother. They will be expecting us to download them on their new BBC Store site and just watch them on a laptop or iPad etc. Hopefully someone like Simply Media or Network will have a go at releasing these in the future. There are also many sitcoms out there that are worth releasing. If I had to guess what the problem is with Happy Families I would say it's all the music that was used it, all or some of the artists would have to be paid royalties before it was released.

At the risk of going off topic (and possibly repeating myself) I'm totally with you on this with editing. It really narks me off when the repeated broadcast or DVD isn't the exact original. UKTV used to do it a lot for adverts and, well argghhhhh

I'm guessing the repeats were edited to fit in adverts or a more family focused audience. Although I was never really a fan I got very annoyed when the repeats of Bergerac were edited down presumably to fit the timeslots on afternoon telly.

I'm guessing with NTNON it's to do with rights. It's not just all the actors who appeared but the music, writers etc. Having done a little bit of rights clearance in a previous life I can tell you it's a very time consuming process and I'm guessing the potential audience is seen as relatively small.

I was thinking about this, and wondering if, as a collective, it would be possible to buy the rights and then sell them sell the DVD or something, but it's probably more than any of us would be prepared to invest, and as you say, I doubt the returns would be that good.

I'd love to do this for a few shows, but the list of credits on any programme is endless.

Quote: John M @ 2nd April 2011, 2:58 PM

I would like nothing better than the full episodes of Not the Nine O'Clock News to be released on DVD.

I would prefer to lick Strongbrew off Melanie C's shoulderblades, but it takes all sorts.
The credits list for NTNON was almost infinite...