A Kick Up The Eighties

For those who've not heard of A Kick Up The Eighties, it was a sketch show from the early eighties. Series 1 looked as if it was designed to be a 1981 verson of The Frost Report, in that each episode focused on a different social theme, such as relationships, work, media, advice, death and leisure.

It had Richard Stilgoe doing monologues on these subjects, accompanied by loosely related sketches performed by Ron Bain, Miriam Maragoyles, Roger Sloman and Tracey Ullman. And not to forget each week featured a segment from then unknown Rik Mayall, under the guise of a brummie 'investigator' called Kevin Turvey.

Series 2 dropped the Frost Report format in favour of a more straitforward sketch show format. This meant that Richard Stilgoe's monologues were removed from the show and the episodes weren't themed, though Kevin Turvey still appeared. Plus, Robbie Coltrane was hired to fill the space in the cast left by Stilgoe. However, Series 2 was shorter lived than Series 1, which I personaly find to be a shame, as I thought the second series best illustrated my idea of how sketch shows should be.

So with that, are there any fans on the board, or anyone who saw it when it was on?

Which did you like better, series 1 or series 2? Or were they both as good as each other?

I liked this also. Can't really remember it much apart from Kevin Turvey.

I recall enjoying this, but even at the time thinking that the cast was a thrown together collection of odds and sods.

Never heard of this before. Shall investigate, in a purely platonic way, at some point soon.

Quote: Griff @ January 18 2011, 6:04 PM GMT

*imagines spotty young Timbo with massive specs writing article for school magazine on 'regrettable decline of TV comedy sketch ensembles'*

:D

It was a great show. I remember the first time I saw Kevin Turvey, he blew my tiny little mind. Up to that point I thought Howling Mad Murdoch was the funniest man on TV.

Tracey Ullman was pretty good too IIRC, I might need to YouTube a couple of sketches to remind myself.

I remember really enjoying it. And I definitely found Kevin Turvey hilarious. Still do. For my money, he's the best character Rik Mayall ever did.

For those who don't know it, YouTube 'Kevin Turvey Investigates'. They're all on there. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLAcFHkASc

It was mostly rubbish. :)

I was amusing myself with this the other day. It's always a joy to watch Roger Sloman going mental. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r51SD8zX74

Quote: Afinkawan @ January 19 2011, 1:26 PM GMT

And I definitely found Kevin Turvey hilarious. Still do. For my money, he's the best character Rik Mayall ever did.

Absolutely. I YouTubed all of these a few months ago and found myself thinking "Why didn't he just carry on like that?"

No offence, but does anyone remember anything about this show but Kevin Turvey? Alot of the stand alone sketches were good, and I think it was the first time that Robbie Coltrane and Tracey Ullman had appereared on TV.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 21 2011, 1:34 AM GMT

It was mostly rubbish. :)

Maybe but not as though it made any difference as back then I was a huge Tracy Ullman fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofyf0P4mdQ

Quote: His Own Devices @ February 22 2011, 5:10 PM GMT

I think it was the first time that Robbie Coltrane and Tracey Ullman had appereared on TV.

Tracey Ullman's first TV appearance came in the series Mackenzie, the year before in 1980. As for comedy, Three of a Kind (which I loved) preceded A Kick Up the Eighties by a few months.