Come Fly With Me - Series 1 Page 14

Quote: David Bussell @ January 13 2011, 5:58 PM GMT

That would be the point you changed your original statement to conceal the flaw in your argument. Now the only thing we're arguing about is the etiquette of arguing, and none of that really belongs on this thread. Accordingly I'm going to move on and stop wasting my time making comments that are very soon about to be whited out. It's been a pleasure, bobs.

You mention a flaw but not what it is. Or maybe you should have read my original post. Yes indeed, time to move on.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2011, 6:01 PM GMT

Apparently the BBC are teaming this show up with the clowns from Big Top.

To make Come Pie with Me

*tumbleweed*

Anyway, calm down everyone, enough with the petty bickering...

On a separate point, has anyone noticed that CFWM is not actually a sitcom but a sketch show?

It's not a sketch show. It's a spoof/mockumentary.

Oh My I have missed so much good shit on this board.

Thought I would pop by & put my thoughts to this programme.

I like it. I don't love it enough to marry it, but I like it enough to watch it every week.
I am quite fond of the married pilots & the Immigration Officer.
Lucas's skill as a character actor shines through with the Jamaican coffee shop worker. Superbly performed. Not the funniest but perfectly executed.
It is simple comedy without requiring much thought. I don't care if I guess what will happen. I laugh all the same. Sometimes I just want to sit & laugh like an idiot.

Since watching this series, I've been unable to get Sinatra's version of the theme tune out of me noggin.....no bad thing!

Quote: Schwen @ January 13 2011, 5:54 PM GMT

Let's face facts children, this is a comedy show for children and people who don't really know what comedy is. That's basically the vast majority of all people.

I think it's worth remembering that most of the people on this message board are regular comedy watchers and not necessarily therefore inclined to find this kind of broad comedy that funny (a bit like a heroin addict would look at someone who was smoking weed)... the ratings indicate that this is, four episodes in, still a big hit for BBC One.

So the bigger question is, what's the definition of a good comedy - something that makes 6 million laugh (Come Fly With Me) or less than 1 million (The Trip) or neither. Not a debate for this thread, just wanted to say it's a bit unfair to dismiss the millions that do like the show as being clueless.

As it happens, as a regular comedy watcher, I still find much to enjoy from the show too... although certain characters are getting too repetitive now (e.g. coffee shop worker). Loving Peter and Judith though!

Peter and Judith are possibly my least favourite and most repetitive.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is this show is unsubtle and as broad as possible, something that I don't care for in the same way that a fan of improvised Jazz and all it's subtleties and depth probably wouldn't like Atomic Kitten. As with everything, it's all subjective.

Quote: Schwen @ January 16 2011, 6:02 PM GMT

As with everything, it's all subjective.

I don't think it is.

Quote: Mark @ January 16 2011, 5:57 PM GMT

I think it's worth remembering that most of the people on this message board are regular comedy watchers and not necessarily therefore inclined to find this kind of broad comedy that funny (a bit like a heroin addict would look at someone who was smoking weed)... the ratings indicate that this is, four episodes in, still a big hit for BBC One.

So the bigger question is, what's the definition of a good comedy - something that makes 6 million laugh (Come Fly With Me) or less than 1 million (The Trip) or neither. Not a debate for this thread, just wanted to say it's a bit unfair to dismiss the millions that do like the show as being clueless.

As it happens, as a regular comedy watcher, I still find much to enjoy from the show too... although certain characters are getting too repetitive now (e.g. coffee shop worker). Loving Peter and Judith though!

Good points. CFWM seems like comedy for Sun readers.