Not Going Out - Series 4 Page 11

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 8 2011, 11:04 PM GMT

No, that's the Pope's job. But I see what you mean, I do do that don't I.

Yes Laughing out loud

Interestingly, they've been showing old NGO on Dave recently and I was very impressed with Lee & by the gag ratio.

Wasn't so enamoured with this ep. The drugs plot didn't seem like THEM tbh... Well I know that was part of the intention etc, but buying drugs etc is the kinda thing you'd never expect these characters to do.

I guess it's due to the fact that characterisation is sacrificed to jokes in this sitcom, and I think for that reason it will never become a full-on classic.

It's hard to compare this to Peep Show. Partly 'cos Peep Show veers more towards the hyper-realism spectrum (although the scenarios are absurd), and also Peep Show is far more character based, which is why people get terribly excited about appearances from Johnson, Big Suze, Superhans etc.

NGO has much more of an old-fashioned feel, the kind I also get from something like The IT Crowd. I'm happy for this type of comedy to thrive as a few years ago it looked like hyper-realism was THE future of sitcoms and for me that wasn't a prospect I was particularly pleased about. Hopefully the 2 types can co-exist side by side...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 8 2011, 11:04 PM GMT

No, that's the Pope's job. But I see what you mean, I do do that don't I.

Haha! 'Do do'...

<laughs childishly to self>

Dan

I really didn't like the Nail gun, just seemed a bit forced, but otherwise I'm happy to see NGO back on our screens.

Again, the attack on the windmill felt a bit out of character, but overall, another enjoyable episode.

A few points where they could have put more laughs in, I thought, rather than the emotive codswallop (which doesn't really feel right in this sort of programme), but it remained one of the funniest sitcoms we produce.

I actually quite like it when NGO adds a bit of emotion in, I think they do it quite well- there was just the odd moment last night where they could have done with a joke instead. Brilliant though, as ever. A joy to watch.

The "In Bread" gag in particular tickled me!

"That's why they call it a yuka." Ha!

I enjoyed last night's episode, although it wasn't half as funny as last week's.

I'm soo glad it's back! I love Lee Mack. He is my favourite comedian of this generation. He's brilliant and hearing him in interviews he comes across really nice, genuine, and is a very hard worker. He puts loads of time in his work. I do find him underrated. Lee has brilliant chemistry with Tim Vine. Lee really does have good chemistry with anybody.

Loved last night's epsiode. :D Shame Miranda Hart isn't in this series. :( I love her.

Friday's ep co-written with Andrew Collins was very good indeed.
They've all done very well.

Easily the funniest show on TV at the moment, although I agree with Shirl that the second episode wasn't quite as good as the first. The putdowns by Lucy to Lee in the last episode seemed very long-winded and forced.

Always good to see Tim Vine, can't help but smile when he's on the tele. :D

Not sure about tonight's episode. It seemed very disjointed, and not as many laughs as usual. The weakest so far, I'm afraid. Errr

I didn't love that one as much. Too much plot not enough jokes, somehow. Still, the first two were great.

The shot of Lee's bum must have pleased a few people, though.

Do you really think it was his? They've fooled us before with Lee's arse. Cool