Forums where big cheeses contribute?

Does anybody know of any forums where producers and directors contribute? I remember a long time ago when the BBC did a new writing forum, that Michael Jacob used to contribute quite a bit (he produced The Smoking Room and Thieves Like Us, to name two of his shows). And as much as I like this forum, it'd be even better if some movers and shakers took part in it as well.

"And as much as I like this forum, it'd be even better if some movers and shakers took part in it as well."

Some do.

Plus we have the benefit of mingling with a few on their way up. Before they become unlikably spoiled and rich oiks who don't want any more to do with us.

:P

I think Michael Jacob still posts from time to time but on the writersdock website.

I don't think there is such a forum chipolata. Most writers, directors etc don't get involved in message board discussions (at least not using their real names) because, as you can imagine, they'd soon get swamped by fans and questions!

A couple of famous writers have posted on here as it happens and I know there are a few others who've joined the site but never posted - obviously that's their choice to lurk so I'm not going to expose them.

I'm afraid there's a total lack of good forums for writers - let alone forums with famous members - that's kind of why our writers forum is fairly busy, it's one of only a few British ones that are available as far as I know.

Quote: Mark @ January 26, 2007, 5:36 PM

A couple of famous writers have posted on here as it happens

Come on, name names.

the forums at notbbc.net
Richard Herring and some other writerly types post there quite often.

Quote: Baumski @ January 26, 2007, 7:55 PM

Come on, name names.

Andrew Collins has openly posted in the Not Going Out thread as I'm sure you've seen, so that's one. The other(s) you'd have to figure out ;)

I'm not saying that we're a hot bed of celebrity posting action by any means although naturally writers do hit the pages from time to time to see what's being said about their programmes. I know for sure that over ten writers who had stuff on TV last year have visited - in a couple of cases embarrasingly we've been quite rude about their work on here!

It'll be clear who a couple of them are soon no doubt as I'm very close to getting some of them (naturally not the ones we've been rude about) to agree to interviews.

The critique forum is also flatteringly being watched by the industry already - an IP address registered to Channel 4 regularly comes up on our server logs (I'm hoping it's one of their commissioners looking for something better than Blunder!) and there's a fair few @bbc.co.uk addresses on our mailing list. I know that executives from BBC3 and Five have also had a quick peek in December. Oh and even Stuart Murphy has checked the directory out, although that was before he moved to RDF.

"I know ten writers on TV last year have visited - in a couple of cases we've embarrasingly been rude about their work!"

In many ways, a writer should expect criticism (plus and minus), no matter their reputation or height of name in Radio Times' billings. It's the nature of the business. No one will write a perfect comedy as someone will always find it not to their taste. They should also be grateful that their work stirs controversy and debate because the alternative for a professional writer is too hideous to bear. It's a problem I'd gladly bear.

Even in cases where said work has been slated, it is (with few exceptions) done without malice and the reasons for liking / disliking have been given and hotly debated.

Note to Big Cheeses:

Big cheese producers, The Slagg Brothers' brand of anarchy and surrealism is available to the first bidder. Email us for copies of our pilots before they appear in bargain bins across the PoundStretcher chain.

Big cheese writers, if you want to mentor two jerks with unfeasable hair, we're the guys. Read our book: "A lifetime of unmitigated failure" before MI5 pulls us in for questioning.