Father Ted Night

Anybody see this last night on Channel 4?

I thought that it was really good and a great insight into what made the show tick. The night consisted of two documentaries and two favourite episodes. Oh, and it was all rounded off by a showing of the original ('72) Heartbreak Kid. Not the Ben Stiller ('07) remake.

First doc was about Linehan and Matthews' influences when writing the show, and the second was a great one-hour show reuniting cast, crew, writers and locations. These were sandwiched with the two episodes.

The episodes were firstly the viewers' favourite - Speed 3, and secondly the writers' favourite - Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse.

It was great to revisit all this and to just get immersed in how brilliant the show was on every level. If you've missed it check it out on 4OD or it might even be repeated somewhere later this week.

Two sad notes though. The obvious tragic passing of Dermot Morgan, and puzzlingly Pauline McLynn not wishing to take part in proceedings having turned down an invitation to get involved.

I saw the second documentary and thought it was very good. I thought Pauline McLynn should have been involved - I don't really understand why she's worried that appearing in a documentary will typecast her.

It was a shame that she didn't feel able to participate wasn't it?

Both O'Hanlon and Linehan even mentioned it in the documentary when they were all sitting in the kichen of the parochial house chatting about the good old days.

Sad :-(

Both docs were great, it was a special show. Both episodes shown were amongst my favourites too.

The documentaries were really very good, it was interesting to see their influences and to go back to Craggy Island, I loved that the lady who lived in the house serves tea, a real-life Mrs Doyle.

Father Ted has got to be one of the most consistently funny sitcoms ever, it's a shame Dermot Morgan is no longer with us.

As my favourite sitcom- a whole night dedicated to Father Ted was such a treat and the documentaries were really great, such an incite.

I loved it, it was great to see some of the things that influenced Graham and Arthur (that I didn't already know about) but it was a shame Pauline McLynn didn't want to appear on the doc. I must admit I did tear up a couple of times when they were talking about Dermot.

Was nice they spoke to Neil Hannon too, and played some Divine Comedy music on the doc. Hooray!

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ January 3 2011, 4:12 PM GMT

it was a shame Pauline McLynn didn't want to appear on the doc.

She should be happy and proud of the fact she appeared in such a classic show.

I remember reading an interview with her years ago and she did seem to resent being Mrs Doyle.

Odd.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 3 2011, 4:41 PM GMT

Odd.

Not really. Much as I love her, Mrs Doyle is fairly one-dimensional, and being associated with such a character might be a bit of an albatross around an actor's neck.

Quote: chipolata @ January 3 2011, 5:22 PM GMT

Not really. Much as I love her, Mrs Doyle is fairly one-dimensional, and being associated with such a character might be a bit of an albatross around an actor's neck.

It's the one role she's going to be remembered for though, whether she likes it or not. You can fight that or accept it, really. And you could say the same about Dougal, pretty much. But I'm sure it's annoying if it's the one thing people still come up to you about. Much like the classic Ted 'One Foot' episode.

Quote: chipolata @ January 3 2011, 5:22 PM GMT

Is that why she reprised it for those adverts? I can't remember what they were for, but were a few years after Father Ted finished.

All I know is that for whatever reason there are a lot of actors who for whatever reason come to resent a character they've played. It's understandable.

A-ha!

Regarding Pauline McGlynn's non appearance in the documentary.

All is revealed here.

http://www.paulinemclynn.com/site/blog/ted?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+paulinemclynn+%28PaulineMcLynn.com%29

Glad that there has been no big falling-out. :)