Doctor Who... Page 610

I'm not sure - if people are held as security for loans - what a terminally ill woman would fetch?

I did wonder about that, but put it down to some sort of sharp dealing by the Cratchitts or whatever they were called.

Quote: sootyj @ December 29 2010, 9:47 AM GMT

The spider lady one was ridiculously poor

You just fancy DT

That's ironic.
90% of the 'no, the new Who is great' brigade end every post on 'and Pond is really hot'...

Quote: chipolata @ December 29 2010, 10:30 AM GMT

I thought it was a really nice episode for five year olds. Sweet and safe and not remotely taxing.

A bit strong on mortality for a five-year old? This is one episode where the Doctor does not make everything all right. The girl dies; and this is the heroine of the story, not just some footsoldier or comic relief. Just because we do not see her coughing up blood into a bucket over the final credits that does not make the episode any less harrowing for the average pre-schooler.

Quote: Timbo @ December 29 2010, 11:09 AM GMT

A bit strong on mortality for a five-year old? This is one episode where the Doctor does not make everything all right. The girl dies; and this is the heroine of the story, not just some footsoldier or comic relief. Just because we do not see her coughing up blood into a bucket over the final credits that does not make the episode any less harrowing for the average pre-schooler.

Charlotte's Web is far more harrowing.

Quote: chipolata @ December 29 2010, 10:30 AM GMT

I thought it was a really nice episode for five year olds. Sweet and safe and not remotely taxing.

It's the very youngest fans who I would have thought more likely to have a problem, precisely because it seemed more grown up emotionaly, and probably lacked the more obvious adventure elements.

Quote: Marc P @ December 29 2010, 10:41 AM GMT

I'm not sure - if people are held as security for loans - what a terminally ill woman would fetch?

So sick people are worthless? You are a monster.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 29 2010, 11:52 AM GMT

It's the very youngest fans who I would have thought more likely to have a problem, precisely because it seemed more grown up emotionaly, and probably lacked the more obvious adventure elements.

So sick people are worthless? You are a monster.

:O

Agree with Griff and Chip. It was boring because there was no sense of peril. A great actor was wasted by having him watch a projection most of the time. And the one really intriguing idea was buried too deep into the story. There needed to be more made of the mysterious countdown from very early on.

Like I say, I personally didn't find it boring, the whole thing really drew me in, but each to their own.

Quote: Badge @ December 29 2010, 12:20 PM GMT

A great actor was wasted by having him watch a projection most of the time.

Isn't a great actor just what you need for a part whose development is largely internal?

Quote: Badge @ December 29 2010, 12:20 PM GMT

There needed to be more made of the mysterious countdown from very early on.

The Doctor seemed to pick up on her being terminally ill when they first met ("Do you need a Doctor?) only for it seemingly slip his mind, though what was going on was obvious to the audience from that point. The Doctor apparently being one step behind the viewer is something that has happened before in Moffatt scripts, and is not a good trait.

Agree with rav Sooty, Matt Smith is spot on for the role.
I had my doubts at first but he's fast become my favourite doctor of the New Who and, maybe a bit controversially, is working his way up there with my fav doctors of all time.

Zooo I really am surprised you're not digging this series. Ok not all of it's been great, but has it really been 'that' bad?? Is definitely a case of PTD I reckon :P :D
But yes Amy is mighty fit and I still sometimes spend a little time thinking about the Doctor's view when he held her up by the leg. Cor corumba! *sweats*

By the way hope you and Azza have a great new year. Same for everyone on the BCG - even Roodeye who I see has made a colourful return :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 29 2010, 11:52 AM GMT

precisely because it seemed more grown up emotionally

Maybe this kind of thing is emotionally grown up for nerds (who are to-a-man emotionally stunted, of course), but not for proper adults. Pleased ;)

(*awaits backlash and tears-before-bedtime*)

I was watching the repeat of Tennants finale earlier
I do like the last 15 minutes of that Ep.

Saves Martha's life
Saves Sarah Janes sons life
Makes Donna a Millionaire
Get's John Barrowman a bunkup
& Stalks Bille Piper

Classic Who

That reminds me, I haven't seen the Christmas ep. Is it worth checking out?

I saw some of the first part of that again the other day; what on earth RTD was thinking about putting those green spiky aliens in I do not know; awful!

One thing that is very obvious from the older ones, is how the look of the show has improved in the last year. Much more filmic these days.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 3 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

That reminds me, I haven't seen the Christmas ep. Is it worth checking out?

Well, it was certainly one of the better Christmas ones; whether or not you will take that as a recommendation I don't know! Some found it quite dull, apparently. I predict you will hate it.