Goal - Frenais and Clement

Much as I admire select cuts from this duo (Porridge), the film 'Goal' was a piss-poor childlike (in the worst sense) script that revealed how little footie they'd ever watched.

I know viewers tend to suspend belief but this was stretching reality so far that I expected Superman and a talking dog to drop in and visit their old pal - Santiago. It was fantasy of the worst and most feeble kind.

1) The whole film spans ONE MONTH at season's end. A month in which Newcastle have to win all three games. At this moment, it could be EVERY season Newcastle has faced but any footie fan knows there are a lot more than 3 games to play in the closing 4 weeks.

2) During this month, the hero (an unknown from the USA) rises from sacked trialist to reserve player and then scorer of the winning goal in the first team. Oh, and there's no mention of arranging the necessary work permits.

3) In a mid-film exchange the hero says, "One month ago I was heading back home, now I have a contract and a flat." Feeble childish exposition but it hides an even more basic error.

One month? So the three first-team games have been played, right? Wrong! Although the timeline for the film has stretched past the initial month in which the three first-team games have to be won, two of the games are still to be played.

I looked desperately for a Pulp Fiction fractured timeline to explain this dichotomy but I now feared that the only pulp was between the commissioning producer's ears.

3) The writers then throw out the century-old rule: NEVER rely on COINCIDENCE to link or close your plot. While it's allowable to open on a coincidence, such as winning the lottery, it is bad form to use coincidence to hinge or resolve a plot. For an unrelated example, money problems solved, at film climax, by a lottery win.

As the hero is being driven by taxi to the airport after being released, the taxi driver is ordered to pick up the Toon's lead striker after kids have nicked his alloy wheels. It is evident that the striker has never used this taxi service before, through his desperate attempts to persuade the taxi radio operator that he really is the famous striker. During the shared trip, the striker takes the sacked hero under his wing.

Utter BOLLOCKS. How many taxi firms in Newcastle? How many taxis in Newcastle? How many taxis stop to pick up when they have a fare? What if the hero's flight was later? If unpublished screenwriters used a plot hinge like that, the script would be in the bin.

4) For two comedy writers, the gags were very thin - three, maybe. OK, it was a sports movie but please squeeze some humour in. One gag / 30 minutes is woeful.

5) Beckham, Zidane, and Raul are all in the same London nightclub (like they do) despite it being a weekend and that's the day these players play ... in Europe.

6) An afternoon match is played in London. In Los Angeles, the hero's father sneaks off to watch the game in a pub (8 hours difference but you'd never know it) filled with ... NEWCASTLE fans. I'm close to an overdose here.

Coincidence 2 coming up fast. The father and hero have been in dispute since the opening of the film. Days after watching the game, the father dies leaving said conflict unresolved. The hero is devastated that his dad died not seeing him play. When the grandmother and brother decide to go and watch the third match, they choose the SAME pub, filled with the SAME fans, and during casual conversation they learn that the father did actually watch the son play before he died. Hero learns this straight after the match ends, after his 'agent' runs from a top stand seat to the pitch to hand him a phone. It is his grandma telling him his dad had forgiven him.

At this point I reached for the off switch and a vomit bucket, but the writers even denied me the pleasure of terminating the film and supper, because the film chose that precise moment to end.

It is a strange beast - too lightweight for British football fans and obviously made with a US audience in mind. Flashy, shallow, predictable stuff from beginning to end.

A poor Mexican kid, with no professional experience, venturing to England via LA and quickly gaining a contract with Newcastle Utd (the explanation for how he gets through immigration is priceless). That's almost as silly as Newcastle beating Chelsea and Liverpool on the way to European qualification. Oh wait, that's in here as well, along with Alessandro Nivola's dodgy cockney accent, Geordie stereotypes aplenty, a dour but wise German manager and Anna Friel's loyal, down to earth girlfriend. Even the football sequences are a let down.

I see that Goal 2 is about to get a cinema release. As sequels go, I haven't been this excited since Attack of the Clones.

come on, get off the fence you two and tell me if you think its a good film or not... :D

if you want a good football film then you can't beat;
escape to victory
mean machine
green street

AND a movie i ACCIDENTILLY downloaded "Bend Over like Beckham", it isn't really a football film but it contains lots of balls (yes i was attempting a joke, and yes i accept it wasn't a very good one, i will go and work on it)

Escape to Victory is watchable in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way...Footballers who can't act. Pele being fouled by the evil Germans. Stallone saves a penalty!

Green Street is terrible. Frodo plays a football hooligan. The lead thug ("alwight, guvnor, we're gonna get pissed and cause some aggro dahn the 'ammers and no mistake") boasts an hilariously bad cockney accent and the big punch up at the end (set to Dire Straits)...WTF was that all about? The Football Factory (though far from perfect) is a much better look at footie hooligans.

Slag, I have no pity. I honestly don't know what good you thought could have come from watching that film. I really don't.

Green Street is shite, Thomps is spot on, Football Factory isn't perfect but it pisses all over that tripe.

Mean Machine isn't much better either (tut tut Lewis) unless your refering to the Burt Reynolds original which is miles better. Then again Jason Statham wasn't born then so he couldn't act badly in it.

yes gj i was refering to the original one i havent seen the new one, (i didn't know there was a new one) i still think escape to victory was good, i've never seen this Goal, but i really wanna, especially after everyones glowing reveiws,

The Burt Reynolds original (The Longest Yard) was about American football, Lewis. It was remade a few years ago with Vinnie Jones playing Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham playing a Scottish mentalist. It is notable only for the number of times that the boom mike appears during scenes (a lot). It is a bit shit.

ow dear i don't like Jason Statham, alhough he was o.k. in snatch, if it is shit then i won't try it out i've been told it was good,

green street is terrible