British Remakes

America has taken a lot of Britain's finest sitcoms and turned them into American sitcoms. The Office, Stepford & Son, etc. But, what American sitcoms do you think would be good if remade for the British audience?

One i think would work is Just Shoot Me. The format would be pretty easy to convert into Brit-mode.

David Baddiel tried to plagiarise Seinfeld..with consequences that were in no way hilarious.

Quote: Walker @ December 2, 2007, 1:13 PM

America has taken a lot of Britain's finest sitcoms and turned them into American sitcoms. The Office, Stepford & Son, etc. But, what American sitcoms do you think would be good if remade for the British audience?

One i think would work is Just Shoot Me. The format would be pretty easy to convert into Brit-mode.

I love JSM. Not seen it for a while as Paramount don't show it anymore though. I think Channel 4 have broadcast it fairly recently, but I rarely watch that channel, so not sure?

I'd like to see a British take on Becker.

We could probably manage a decent Frasier.

But I don't think we should.

The thing is we like FUNNY comedies.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 2, 2007, 6:09 PM

The thing is we like FUNNY comedies.

It's just a shame that we're not shown them.

Quote: Walker @ December 2, 2007, 1:13 PM

Well, Jack Dee's basically tried to re-make 'Curb Your Enthusiam'.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 2, 2007, 6:37 PM

Well, Jack Dee's basically tried to re-make 'Curb Your Enthusiam'.

People keep arguing that but I can watch Jack Dee but not that CYE.

Not saying I don't like Jack Dee or 'Lead Balloon'. It's well-written and funny. (Actually, I find CYE too contrived and predictable thesedays myself.)

It could be argued that Early Doors is a very loose remake of Cheers - one set location, a bar filled with losers, etc. And Craig Cash and his writing partner have cited it as one of their favourite shows.

And would I be right in thinking we've attempted to do quite a few Seinfeld remakes? There was a BBC2 comedy starring Rhona Cameron, and Small Potatoes, the dire Channel 4 thing starring Sanjeev Baskir.