Awkward Comedy Shows

Not sure if this has been said before on here, and if anyone agrees (*checks for impending lynch mob*) but does anyone else not enjoy the recent spate of Awkward Comedy shows?

Examples I can think of are Whites with Alan Davies and The Incredibly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret with David Cross. It was something that I think started with The Office and has become vogue these days in comedy. However I just don't find it amusing, just... squirm inducing.

Maybe they need more pies in faces... or pipes. Definitely need more pipes.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit weary of that style of comedy. I don't mind a bit of it, like in The Inbetweeners, but when it's relentless and for the full half hour I'm not a fan.

Depends entirley on the show; if it's done well, like in Curb, then I'm all for it.

It has always been a strong element in sitcoms, but too often these days it is all they have got.

Quote: zooo @ December 2 2010, 7:45 PM GMT

Yeah, I'm getting a bit weary of that style of comedy. I don't mind a bit of it, like in The Inbetweeners, but when it's relentless and for the full half hour I'm not a fan.

Exactly! It's just ever mounting cringe-worthy scenes that you're supposed to laugh at but just makes you feel uncomfortable...

Peep Show is probably in that Cinge-comedy bracket, and that's brilliant. Some shows obviously do it badly, because some shows ARE bad, but others, such as Peep Show, do it brilliantly.

Yes, Peep Show certainly works. I don't cringe all the way through that at all though, there'll just be 2 or 3 moments of it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 2 2010, 7:52 PM GMT

Depends entirley on the show; if it's done well, like in Curb, then I'm all for it.

I think Curb is atypical of cringe-com shows in that Larry David genuinely seems to revel in awkward situations.

I cringe at the likes of One Foot in the Grave and Fawlty Towers so imagine how I fare with these fangled modern things. The Inbetweeners was clever and funny enough to get away with it. Just!

Yes it's very much the fashion to make this sort of sitcom at the mo, and they are getting a lot of fans, it seems. If it's an addition to the form it's fine for me, but I don't want it to take over completely, as it was threatening to do this year. Anyone mentioned Him & Her yet? That really goes for the cringe-com effect.

Unintentionally awkward comedies are far more worrying, but they are starting to appear too due to TV's relentless comedy show drive. That new Frank Skinner's Opinionated had me sitting a bit awkwardly at times but nothing like as much as Russell Howard's Good News and the instantly notorious Richard Bacon's Beer & Pizza Club. :$ Errr

Didn't think much of it in The Office and don't think much of it now. It certainly can be funny (Peep Show), and even in shows where it's overused it has its moments (Off The Hook), but it's not a style of comedy I particular enjoy, or indeed enjoy laughing at when I do find it amusing.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 5 2010, 11:34 AM GMT

That new Frank Skinner's Opinionated had me sitting a bit awkwardly at times

I found it a bit awkward too.

But only because Frank seems to be turning into a Spitting Image puppet of James Woods.

I felt awkward watching Channel 4's Johnny Vegas: 18 Stone Of Idiot but I don't think it was intentional. I like Johnny mind, but a poor vehicle.

I think awkward comedy was far more prevalent 4 or 5 years ago than it is now.

I generally find the cringe comedy genre completely done to death now and a bloody bore!

It's a fad that's outstayed its welcome...