Violent carpet Salesman - Sketch Show circa 1996

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help;

I have a hazy recollection of a recurring sketch from a british sketch show from around 1995-6 ish.

The basic premise was set in a carpet showroom, where a suited carpet salesman would rush onto screen and deliver a monologue in a very frantic fashion, detailing various random violent encounters with people he has met, always ending with the catchphrase..."now that is how you sell a carpet!"

I though it might have been Fist of Fun, but from memory it wasn't shot in the documentary style that most sketches on that show were, but it was definitely from the mid-late nineties as I remember quoting it at work with a colleague that I worked with around that time.

Please help, as I keep asking various people I meet/know. And people are starting to think I made it up/dreamt it/am totally mad. All three are very possible, but I'd like to think that this sketch did actually exist!

If it does exist, which show was it from?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Could it be from The Fast Show?
I don't recognise it all though, unfortunately.

There was an ace carpet sketch by Vic and Bob, but they had bits of carpet wrapped round their heads, so it probably isn't that. ;)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't The Fast Show, but the sketch wouldn't have been out of place there from memory (very hazy memory!).

The 'carpet salesman' was middle aged, if that's of any help to anyone.

I guess it's one you either know or don't know, I think the sketch show it was from was very short lived, probably on BBC2.

Pulp Video or whatever it was Marc P wrote for?

Quote: Ben @ December 7 2010, 11:05 PM GMT

Pulp Video or whatever it was Marc P wrote for?

You know what, that rings bells with me big time. Although I can't find any info to back it up, I think you may have cracked it! :D

Any other suggestions appreciated.