The Morgana Show Page 5

Quote: sootyj @ December 2 2010, 9:13 PM GMT

eh?

What you put didn't make sense, did you mean, the material was so bad, even a talented performer couldn't make it look good? I assume?

Quote: sootyj @ December 2 2010, 9:13 PM GMT

But sorry the performances were reminesent of a mediocre Edinburgh sketch show. I didn't enjoy them, they were poor and annoying.

To you, obviously, yes.

Yes that was actually meant

Quote: sootyj @ December 2 2010, 9:15 PM GMT

Yes that was actually meant

This post is also open to question, you're quite the riddler.

Is she related to Wagbo?

She is clearly a very talented character actor, but why did no-one spot there was no jokes in the script. You should be able to read a script with a pen in hand and be able to tick where the laughs are. Even shows I don't like (eg Nighty-night) I can see where the laughs are. Not with (most of) The Mogana Show.

They even stooped to using a pie in the face as a punchline (well cream cake on the head anyway)

The Boris Johnson was a decent impersonation (and he seems to work being done by a woman, ooh err!)

But the sketch was an incoherent mess. With source material like that, that's unforgivable.

I did smirk when he got Nelson to help. But the lines just clanged.

Quote: Smartcomedy @ December 3 2010, 4:08 PM GMT

She is clearly a very talented character actor, but why did no-one spot there was no jokes in the script.

A very good point. I think she's said somewhere she doesn't aim to do actual jokes, more make people laugh via characterisation. Either way, some of it definitely wasn't as funny as it should be (yes, a pie in the face = a sign something's not working!)

As an aside, I notice everyone has stopped going on about Gilbert now they've seen the show and realised that he is indeed just a sweet little boy (his poor silent un-seen grandad made me laugh)

Just watched ep1 on PVR and I really enjoyed it. How refreshing it is to see new comedy talent blooming!

She is clearly a very talented character actor, ...

IMO, she's a hugely talented comedy actor (character actors being those who play the supporting cast in dramas).

...but why did no-one spot there was no jokes in the script.

Perhaps because this isn't a stand up comedy show? Or a lame genre sit-com? Or would you level the same criticism at Q5-Q9, Monty Python, or The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer?

Gilbert was a hoot, and reminded my a lot of vintage Shane Meadows, from "Small Time" and "Where's the Money, Ronnie?" to Shaun in "This Is England".

Anybody willing to rip the p¡ss out of the vacuous and vapid bread-&-circuses "celebrities" pumped out and puffed up 24/7/365 by mainsteam media on behalf of the "entertainment" industry - BoJo, Fearne Cotton, Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue, Lady Gaga - gets a thumbs up from me.

Congrats to all involved for a strong start. I'm looking forward to seeing what delights the rest of the series brings.

Quote: dalinian @ December 5 2010, 2:18 PM GMT

Perhaps because this isn't a stand up comedy show? Or a lame genre sit-com? Or would you level the same criticism at Q5-Q9, Monty Python, or The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer?

All of which were packed full of jokes.

Subtle clever written jokes, but jokes all the same.

Jesus Christ. Is that a real owl in your avatar? It's massive.

Morgana is apparently best pals with Fearne Cotton, so I think those sketches won't ever be too cruel to her. Either that or she'll make sure they go over Fearne's head. ;)

Quote: zooo @ December 5 2010, 2:41 PM GMT

Jesus Christ. Is that a real owl in your avatar? It's massive.

Why thank you, zooo, I dare say I am sporting rather a big one, aren't I? <fnarr-fnarr> :P

And stop calling me "Jesus Christ". <RIP Leslie Nielsen> Errr

I met Radar, a magnificent Great Grey Owl - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Gray_Owl - by happy accident. More info, inc vidz links:
» http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30597997&l=33155275b7&id=1130574526 Cool

Quote: sootyj @ December 5 2010, 2:21 PM GMT

All of which (Q5-Q9, Monty Python, or The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer) were packed full of jokes.

Subtle clever written jokes, but jokes all the same.

I guess that depends on how wide you want to make your definition of "joke" stretch. There's set-up/development/punch-line in traditional stand-up (eg: Frankie Boyle) and genre sit-coms (eg: "Friends"). But not so in an Eddie Izzard live show or in "The Morgana Show" - but for me they are both laugh-out-loud funny.

Quote: dalinian @ December 5 2010, 4:02 PM GMT

I met Radar, a magnificent Great Grey Owl - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Gray_Owl - by happy accident. More info, inc vidz links:
» http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30597997&l=33155275b7&id=1130574526 Cool

Ha! They are genius.
They look like another bird wearing a silly mask.

Caught this tonight. Can't really add anything except to say that it makes "The Catherine Tate Show" look like the pinnacle of modern comedy. Won't be watching next week, think I've got a wall that needs knocking through.

Didn't think an awful lot of it this week. And after last week's mediocre start, that probably says more than it initially seems. Coupled with a let-down from Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights beforehand, this did not make for a wonderful evening of Channel 4 comedy.

Au contraire and au contraire again.

Both Frankie and Morgana were on top form in last night's shows.

Morgana, after a slow start last week, really took off in the second episode, almost every moment of which was top-rate comedy.

Scriptwise, last night's episode was pretty good: couple that with her stunning performances and you (or, to be more accurate, I) have pure comedy gold.

I was doubtful about Morgana last week but I'm now a convert.

She's one of the brightest stars in our current comedy firmament.

Panel shows will surely follow, and she'll become one of the UK's most highly-respected female comedians.

A star is born.