The Morgana Show Page 3

She is not the female Kenny Everett. Kenny Everett was funny.
It would be helpful if she knew when to finish a sketch. Dragging it out made it worse.

Quote: Timbo @ November 30 2010, 11:14 PM GMT

I just find this show a bit cruel and heartless - I mean, what evil sod fooled let this poor deluded woman into believing that she had a talent for comedy?

I didn't watch the show and know nothing about the actor but for someone to have given her a TV show she must have demonstrated comedy chops. Producers tend not to take a punt on an unknown commodity. At some point in time a room of people were laughing at this woman's jokes. Could it be that she's a performer whose abilities weren't best translated to TV this time? I've seen some great stand-ups appear in sketches that gave no indication whatsoever as to the strength of their live performance.

Quote: zooo @ November 30 2010, 11:17 PM GMT

I liked some of it. Her Fearne Cotton was perfect.

Yep, this.

For some reason, the flash of The Crystal Maze in the penultimate sketch made me laugh out loud. Really enjoyed that.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it wasn't exactly great.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 1 2010, 9:59 AM GMT

I didn't watch the show and know nothing about the actor but for someone to have given her a TV show she must have demonstrated comedy chops.

Apparently she was talent-spotted by Russell Brand's agent while working as a waitress. So maybe she just demonstrated chops.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 1 2010, 9:59 AM GMT

I've seen some great stand-ups appear in sketches that gave no indication whatsoever as to the strength of their live performance.

Your sketches, David? ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/nov/30/the-morgana-show

This Johnny Dee chap is either a) an outrageously camp homosexual, or b) one of those slimy little supposedly left-wing straight chaps who dribble on about how great women are and how unfairly they're treated and aren't men terrible and how he wishes he could experience childbirth like all the Earth Mothers, in order to marginally improve his chances of getting some action with a lovely piece of quim from the Women Against Rape meeting down the pub.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 1 2010, 10:23 AM GMT

Your sketches, David? ;)

That's a peculiar way of saying my live performance is oustanding.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 1 2010, 10:31 AM GMT

That's a peculiar way of saying my live performance is oustanding.

:D

She has the most unusual normal face in the world (if you see what I mean).

Add that to an enthusiastic balls-out performance style and you've got the Morgana Show.

The script might as well have been the telephone directory.

Having said that, Gilbert was utterly brilliant on TNT.

I didn't watch it but it seems to have appealed as much as Karen Taylor's show did.

Morgana's obviously a very talented character actress. As others have said the stand-out sketch was the spot-on Fearne Cotton impersonation. Her Cheryl Cole was *nearly* there and I loved the pre-pubescent Boris Johnson skit.
The Gilbert Show felt a little odd at first but the character is very sweet and I think will probably worm its way into the audience's affections as the series continues.
For me, other sketches didn't work quite as well but The Morgana Show is surely an example of what CAN happen to a relative unknown with a decent taster tape and a commissioner willing to take a chance on new blood. Considering Morgana's come from almost nowhere I thought she was very promising. So nice to know there are still opportunities out there for new kids on the block.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 2 2010, 3:29 AM GMT

The Morgana Show is surely an example of what CAN happen to a relative unknown with a decent taster tape and a commissioner willing to take a chance on new blood.

If her face wasn't so bizarre, she'd still be working in Tesco's.

It's like driving past a car crash.

You CAN'T look away.

Oh yes, the schoolboy Boris was good. She could do a lot of funny things with that character.

Watched it. Absolutely dreadful. :O

Schoolboy Boris was the bit I thought was worst! Fern, X Factor and Gilbert were the best.