Have I Got News For You - Series 40 Page 2

Quote: Timbo @ October 17 2010, 2:53 PM BST

Oh yes Victoria Coren and Jon thingy! Is it just me or is Victoria looking increasingly like her dad? Shame she is not a tenth as funny - though still a heck lot more more talented than her brother, obviously.

As for Jon thingy? What is he? I have seen him on panel games before and I can't work out how he earns a living. Not by being funny anyway.

Ha!
Aw, I find him quite funny. I've only seen him on panel shows so far.

Cumberbatch is okay, and seems to have inherited the David Tennant unlikley-pin up mantle.

He looked a lot less weird on this than he does on Sherlock.
He has just the right character for HIGNFY, dry sense of humour, a bit of authority, but not cocky or egotistical.

The main thing I've noticed is that the BBC is now displaying Twitter hashtags on the shows. They started with Genius (#genius) the other week and now they are doing it with this (#bbcHIGNFY). I think it is a bit distracting, but luckily it only appears at the very beginning.

If it was on ITV, there'd be a constant stream across the bottom of the screen of all the Twitter comments they were getting during the show.

We have shows here that have that and it is obnoxious. It takes away from the show. Do any BBC shows have that or is it just something the other networks do?

I don't think the BBC does that. They have the usual 'coming next' pop up things though sometimes. Really annoying.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 17 2010, 4:27 PM BST

The main thing I've noticed is that the BBC is now displaying Twitter hashtags on the shows. They started with Genius (#genius) the other week and now they are doing it with this (#bbcHIGNFY). I think it is a bit distracting, but luckily it only appears at the very beginning.

Oh, that's what that was.

There were a few funny moments, but it was as good or bad as I thought it was going to be. It's definitely past its best.

Someone wake me up when the one with Lee Mack as host is on. Lovey

Quote: zooo @ October 17 2010, 2:57 PM BST

He looked a lot less weird on this than he does on Sherlock.
He has just the right character for HIGNFY, dry sense of humour, a bit of authority, but not cocky or egotistical.

I have to admit to quite fancying him, I thought he struck the right chord for the show, and he managed to put Hislop's smug face out of joint a couple of times which is always a good thing.

A better episode this week.

Terrible episode. Nowt wrong with the format, just the players. Especially Merton. Blud, stroll on.

One plus point from last night's show: thought Miles Jupp (played by a young Colin Montgomerie) did well.

There used to be a time, not so many years ago, when I would have been distraught to miss even one episode of HIGNFY. Now, I'll perhaps watch it on iPlayer if I've nothing better to do. :(

Quote: don rushmore @ October 30 2010, 12:53 AM BST

Miles Jupp (played by a young Colin Montgomerie)

:D

Jupp again? He must have Corden's agent.

Damian Lewis made for a good host I thought (better than last time he was on). Witty, playful and with good comic timing.

The necklace bit worked well. I funnily enough caught an old episode on Dave earlier and it really underscored that between then and now structure and wit has really left the show. The necklace mentions worked well enough from Clunes and came back well with the final photo. This is what they should be trying to do more often. There's just no bite anymore, beyond Hislop preaching to the choir in regards to government foul ups and even that reminds me of Andy Parson's similarly timed and angled schtick on Mock The Week.

Quote: Gelgoog @ November 27 2010, 11:08 PM GMT

Andy Parson's similarly timed and angled schtick on Mock The Week.

Want to do a passable Andy Parsons impersonation? Next time you're constipated, simply sit on the loo, straining and sweating, whilst simultaneously reading out "you couldn't make it up!" stories from a tabloid newspaper. For added effect, have your girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse standing outside listening and not laughing very much.