The Omid Djalili Show - Series 1 Page 4

I'm afraid this show seems to have had what can only be described as an attack of Serafiniwiz Syndrome - i.e., the first episode was great, but the quality really dropped off in later episodes. I thought the second show was poor, and I'm not sure if I'll go back to it. It might help if Omid got some good writers and performers to work with, and didn't just do everything himself.

Quote: jacparov @ November 25, 2007, 1:16 AM

to both A) and B): fair enough and thanks.

A) though? seriously? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with me, because everything i watch at the moment(except the boosh and HIGNFY) just seems shit. I turned 29 recently, perhaps it has something to do with that?:-(

The quality of your mental filtering is improving with age.. you're recognising more mediocre shit for what it is (mediocre shit!)

It will improve further! :)

Quote: chipolata @ November 28, 2007, 10:18 AM

I'm afraid this show seems to have had what can only be described as an attack of Serafiniwiz Syndrome - i.e., the first episode was great, but the quality really dropped off in later episodes. I thought the second show was poor, and I'm not sure if I'll go back to it. It might help if Omid got some good writers and performers to work with, and didn't just do everything himself.

I totally agree. I think he's a good performer being expected to carry the whole show just on the strength of his own performance. He needs a *professional producer and some great writers.

*If he is already working with a professional producer then he needs to give that person a wake up call! There are far too many so called "industry professionals" who are mediocre IMHO.

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 29, 2007, 11:39 AM

That second show did display a rapid drop off in quality, and the Pride and Racial Prejudice sketch was embatrrassingly poor (what was Alison Steadman thinking?.

I have to agree with that. How funny does he really think his constant dancing is?

I'll give it one last go.

Maybe it would help a bit if he could forget that he's "a foriegner" and be funny without that element to his act?

To me "Politically Correct" racial humour is still not funny (except very sparingly) even when "an acceptable" (non-white) person is doing it IMHO.

I would highlight Little Britain too for making an act out of stereotype Gay, Transvestite/Transexual characters.

Why did they do that? They are very talented! Why did they create that when they could have done something else? Or was that the only way they could "make it?"

They obviously love what they do so it puts me in a quandry. Many gay people don't like gay stereotypes yet here we have a gay man with an outrageous gay stereotype. So it's OK then?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 29, 2007, 1:52 PM

To me "Politically Correct" racial humour is still not funny (except very sparingly) even when "an acceptable" (non-white) person is doing it IMHO.

You may be surprised to learn that to me, funny is funny. I couldn't give a shit if it's racist, ageist, sexist, heightist, anti-ginger or what. If it's funny, it's funny. :)

Ha ha, yes, quite possibly!

Yes me too, I am not PC at all, 'funny is funny' but someone going on about their race or sexuality for very long (or somebody elses..) can get boring very quickly!

Quote: Aaron @ November 29, 2007, 3:07 PM

You may be surprised to learn that to me, funny is funny. I couldn't give a shit if it's racist, ageist, sexist, heightist, anti-ginger or what. If it's funny, it's funny. :)

I don't think you can be that black and white about it. Some jokes clearly victimise people and promote prejudice against people causing conflict which can spiral into something that may effect everyone in the long run.

As 'funny' or clever as a joke may be I wouldn't find a joke about, say, kiddy fiddling acceptable. And I'm tiring a bit of the racial slant to his comedy, especially as a lot of the jokes he's making were made a few years ago and called racist due to the fact a white person told it.

I don't quite see how a Middle Eastern person can make jokes about Indians and it be more accepted than if a white person did.

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 29, 2007, 4:17 PM

Agreed. I think a lot of gay comedians fall into this trap.

Laughing out loud

What's the young bugger laughing at now? ;)

I would say "Groan" at this point, except that'd just make the situation worse, wouldn't it?

Quote: Aaron @ November 29, 2007, 3:07 PM

But bigoted comedy isn't funny, it's just a parading of curious prejudices.

Depends on your sense of humour. :)

Except it doesn't because while you may not agree with the prejudices others may and which may lead them to thinking its alright to have a go at certain people.

Errr no, wether people "have a go" at others or not, after watching something, doesn't mean that that thing is or isn't funny. It just means that they're gullible idiots (and probably live on a council housing estate ;)). There is no link between the two!