Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2009 Page 5

I have just come back and a few highlights -

Eric tales of the sea 10/10 - A story of Eric's time on a submarine, pranks and life and death situations it was superb.
Terry Alderton 8/10 - This guy is super talented but weird he does this Golum thing where he talks to himself in a strange voice but his show was great fun.
Roald Dahl revoting ryhmes 8/10 - It was a musical version that I took my daughter too and was most excellent
Bussman's holiday 8/10 - Jane Bussman changes hollywood reporting to warzone reporting in Africa's warzones, shouldn't be funny but is.
Drinking with Danny Wallace and his wife as well as the girl from flight of the conchords (on different nights)

It was my first time and was a great experience will certainly be back next year with the aim of performing.

Hey Daddy

I saw Terry Alderton as well, as part of one of the showcases - so it was a short set but very good and he's excellent with the audience. I'd like to see him again.

I look forward to seeing your show next year too!

JP

He was great with the audience, as we came in he must have been hiding somewhere spying on everyone as you could hear over the tannoy - "You four have walked right up to the front seats and they are all taken eveyone is watching you now, yes you four who look like an ugly beatles tribute act, what you gonna do?" and so on.

Quote: Jane P @ August 31 2009, 4:54 PM BST

Comedy Showcase featuring Lee Henman's excellent entry

:O

Quote: Jane P @ August 31 2009, 4:54 PM BST

Sean Hughes (44) made me laugh (in an ironic way). After slagging off Michael McIntyre he unintentionally did virtually the same joke as him, about using the re-record function when ringing someone's mobile. But he gave a good show and I think he's touring again this year if he has any fans left on here.

Maybe it was ironic...?
Maybe... :)

Glad you enjoyed Stewart Lee!

I reeeeeeeally want to go up to Edinburgh one day.

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2009, 9:54 PM BST

M

I reeeeeeeally want to go up to Edinburgh one day.

You must, zooo. Take at least 4 days. You and Aaron'll love it I'm sure.

If it was in London, yeah. ;)

As an Edinburgh dweller and now a veteran of 3 Fringe festivals, I thought I'd chime in on this thread to offer accommodation advice to anyone that's thinking of making the trip up north this August.

One unavoidable fact is that all hotels, hostels, B&Bs and guesthouses hike their prices up by at least 50% during the fest. I once tried to get a very modest B&B room for mate that didn't like the look of our sofa - the cheapest I found was £75 (booking in mid-july, about 10 mins walk from Pleasance), and most places were fully booked. He went for the sofa.

The good news is that if you book early you'll be in with a chance of getting a decent place for your money. Lots of hostel places, which tend to be very central, are available to book now for under £25. By way of comparison, a central Travelodge double is £100-140. Decent townhouse-style B&Bs near me (20 mins walk south of Royal Mile) are going for about £120, and many of them have a 3-night minimum stay.

Areas I'd recommend are: the Old Town, Newington, Broughton, Leith Walk, Stockbridge & Bruntsfield. All nearby the heart of the action, have a nice festival vibe and a great selection of places to stay.

Ones I'd avoid: Grassmarket/Cowgate (this is party central that never sleeps); Princes Street (touristy & overpriced for terrible hotels); anywhere too far west of the city (Majority of the best venues and pubs are in the student areas of central/south/east).

I'm heading up around the 14th and luckily have free accomodation. Just got to book flights.

I'm going to the festival this year (my 4th time). Luckily I live in the north-east, so instead of booking accomodation, I just get the train to and from Edinburgh.

I think Mark wants to go this year, but has not been able to find accomodation.

I'm not going up to Edinburgh this year but I am doing an Edinburgh Festival show which is in the Fringe Brochure.

www.twitter.com/NoTicketShow or www.twitter.com/TonyCowards for details.

:D

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ June 4 2010, 12:40 AM BST

Ones I'd avoid: Grassmarket/Cowgate (this is party central that never sleeps); Princes Street (touristy & overpriced for terrible hotels); anywhere too far west of the city (Majority of the best venues and pubs are in the student areas of central/south/east).

If it never sleeps you don't need anywhere to stay do you.

Quote: Chappers @ June 8 2010, 10:38 PM BST

If it never sleeps you don't need anywhere to stay do you.

Touché

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/19173/

I'll just mention this again.

I'm looking for some feedback from punters who have been to the fringe. The idea being to help people who are new to producing shows and to help improve the quality of free festival shows over all.