The Omid Djalili Show - Series 1 Page 3

watched this for the first time this week. it's ok, some funny bits, some not.

the sketch running through the show went on too long, the stand-up was repeated(or at least some of it was) and I think everyone gets the point that he is an iranian in britain(ok, get over it.)

However it was nice to see comedy in a prime time slot (I hear sat night live is returning to itv! yay!)

although i didn't lol i did chuckle along a little. Won't go out of my way to watch it though.

Quote: Aaron @ November 24, 2007, 11:06 PM

The Hitler line?

Yup. :)

Well uuhh, I can't remember the exact phrasing offhand, but basically:

So they appointed Tony Blair as peace envoy in the Middle East. Really, that's like making Hitler the head Rabbi, isn't it?

... Which sounds really poo the way I tell it, but you get the point. :)

To be fair to you Aaron, it sounded poo when he said it.

do you know anything about sat night live returning aaron?

a) May have to you, but I laughed. Quite a lot.

b) I can't remember how many announcements I've heard about Saturday Night Live-esque shows coming onto various channels, some as full series' and some as pilots. Offhand though, I think the only full series of such a programme is BBC Three. The others are short runs, and as I said, pilots. I think Russel Brand is doing a one-off too. Might have been for ITV.

to both A) and B): fair enough and thanks.

A) though? seriously? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with me, because everything i watch at the moment(except the boosh and HIGNFY) just seems shit. I turned 29 recently, perhaps it has something to do with that?:-(

Russell Brand is doing one of them, and Noel Fielding the other. Is that right?

not sure, i think i heard something about marcus brigstocke amoungst others. I was watching the darts, sorry.

Quote: zooo @ November 25, 2007, 1:24 AM

Russell Brand is doing one of them, and Noel Fielding the other. Is that right?

Yes, now that you mention Noel, I think he may be doing one. Have a look through BSG news over the past few weeks. I can't be arsed personally, but it may hold the answer. Kind of like Mystic Meg, but less f**king odd.

I thought this week was better stand-up wise (newer stuff) but not so good sketch wise (the posh thing was good but, as jacparov said, went on to long).

As for Saturday-Live...

Noel Fielding is going to be co-presenting The Wall - BBC Three's take on the format that is coming next year.

The ITV show is a one-off tribute to the Saturday Live shows from the 80s. It's a bit weird because those were on C4 but this will be ITV celebrating them (the reason being Paul Jackson is now at ITV). Marcus Brigstocke will be hosting with Jimmy Carr, Ben Elton, Jocelyn Jee Esien, David Mitchell and Robert Webb confirmed guests. Saturday Live Again! is on 1st December.

Russell Brand is doing a one-off Saturday Live pilot show for C4 early next year.

And I think there's another variety-style pilot in the works somewhere but I can't remember what! Of course we also have Comedy Shuffle on BBC3 at the moment too.

Quote: Mark @ November 25, 2007, 12:41 PM

The ITV show is a one-off tribute to the Saturday Live shows from the 80s. It's a bit weird because those were on C4 but this will be ITV celebrating them (the reason being Paul Jackson is now at ITV). Marcus Brigstocke will be hosting with Jimmy Carr, Ben Elton, Jocelyn Jee Esien, David Mitchell and Robert Webb confirmed guests. Saturday Live Again! is on 1st December.

I just saw an advert for this one and Lee Mack is on it too.

:)

Quote: jacparov @ November 25, 2007, 1:16 AM

to both A) and B): fair enough and thanks.

A) though? seriously? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with me, because everything i watch at the moment(except the boosh and HIGNFY) just seems shit. I turned 29 recently, perhaps it has something to do with that?:-(

No, I'm sixteen and I think it's all shit as well.

Then again I'm all...angsty...ya bastards.

Yeah, so you're inexperienced, and he's depressed at nearing the "big 3-0". ;)

Inexperienced? You're talking about someone who is such a foul comedy nerd that he can name all the sketches in Beyond The Fringe. Teenagers can be very idiotic about comedy though, as displayed by a conversation that I had today:

Him: "Do you like THE BOOSH?"
Me: "Umm...they're okay, yes."
Him: "You're probably not RANDOM enough."

I displayed my 'randomness' by sticking a paintbrush up his behind and redecorating his insides.

Quote: Aaron @ November 25, 2007, 5:28 PM

Yeah, so you're inexperienced, and he's depressed at nearing the "big 3-0". ;)

oh god, i'm depressed!