A Genuine Question

Scene: a sunny beach. ext . day.
WIDE SHOT OF HAPPY HOLIDAY MAKERS.
ZOOM IN ON A MAN AND WOMAN SITTING IN DECKCHAIRS. TWO CHILDREN ARE PLAYING HAPPILY NEARBY.

MAN (TO WOMAN):
Is this supposed to be a holiday?

WOMAN IGNORES HIM

MAN (CONT): I mean it. It's a genuine question. I'm not sure if this is intended to be a holiday or not. Cos if it is, it fails.

WOMAN IGNORES HIM

FADE TO:

Scene: same sunny beach. ext . a little later that day.
THE SAME FAMILY ARE WATCHING A PUNCH AND JUDY SHOW WITH OTHER PARENTS AND CHILDREN WHO ARE LAUGHING UPROARIOUSLY

MAN (TO WOMAN):
Is this supposed to be a funny?

WOMAN IGNORES HIM

MAN (CONT): I mean it. It's a genuine question. I'm not sure if this is intended to be a funny or not. Cos if it is, it fails.

WOMAN IGNORES HIM

THE MAN LEANS DOWN TO ONE OF THE CHILDREN, WHOM WE RECOGNISE AS ONE OF HIS OWN FROM THE OPENING SCENE

MAN (TO CHILD):

CHILD IGNORES HIM

MAN (CONT): I mean it. It's a genuine question. I'm not sure if this is intended to be a funny or not. Cos if it is, it fails.

CHILD IGNORES HIM

THE MAN WALKS AROUND TO THE BACK OF THE PUNCH & JUDY BOX AND POKES HIS HEAD THROUGH THE CURTAIN

MAN (LOUDLY, WITH HEAD OUT OF VISION ):

(NO RESPONSE)

THE MAN SUDDENLY FLIES BACKWARDS AS THE PUNCH AND JUDY MAN'S FOOT KICKS HIM

THE MAN LANDS IN A HEAP ON THE SAND THEN STANDS, FACE AND CLOTHES SPATTERED WITH SAND, AND BEGINS BRUSHING HIMSELF DOWN

MAN (CONT, INDIGNANTLY, TO SELF): It was genuine question.

AS HE NOTICES SEVERAL HOLIDAYMAKERS LOOKING AT HIM, HE EXTENDS HIS SANDY HANDS TOWARDS THEM, PALMS UPPERMOST.

MAN (CONT, SHOUTING LOUDLY, ALMOST IN TEARS): is this supposed to be sand ?!?!?

ENDS.

Didn't do anything for me I'm afraid :(

Quote: Jebsly @ October 10 2010, 12:26 PM BST

Didn't do anything for me I'm afraid :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Jebsly, but please don't give up on me entirely.

I'll be posting a couple of knob gags soon.

Is this ending different to your skit comp entry? I much prefer this ending. It rounds it off nicely and gives it a nice strong laugh at the end.

Well spotted!

It's a very-slightly-extended version of the Skit Comp version.

I'm sure it will strike a chord with one or two people. :)

I see what you've done here, Ming, very clever. Well, not clever. It's good to know you haven't let my comment fester inside you, anyway.

Game on!

Rood, do you want any critique on the things you put in Critique, or do you just put things up for your own amusement? It's a genuine question.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ October 6 2010, 12:10 PM BST

Please do not use this forum to address offensive remarks to me personally.

You might want to consider taking some of your own advice, Ming.

Critique's not really my area, but surely this kind of stuff just wastes everyone's time?

(Although, to be fair, before I knew for sure it was a dig at someone - I did find the 'sketch' quite funny, actually.)

I was unaware of any digs being levelled at anyone in this sketch. I just read the sketch and posted what I thought of it.

Apologies if I offended anyone.

On the 'Best Two Ronnies Sketch' thread, John Lucas suggests that nobody should be immune from satire and criticism.

Not one person (including Zoo, who was a party to the thread) has attempted to modify John's suggestion by adding "except BCG members" so what's the problem?

Let me say this: as far as I'm aware, my critics on this thread are very decent people and I would never take a cruel swipe at any of them.

A satirical dig? Yes! But that's the nature of comedy, even among nice people, surely?

It's just a bit petty and bitchy!
But if you're okay with that, then do continue.

Quote: zooo @ October 10 2010, 4:58 PM BST

It's just a bit petty and bitchy!
But if you're okay with that, then do continue.

It won't continue.

Matthew originally asked 'Is that supposed to be funny?' about something I'd written and that gave me an idea for a sketch.

The resulting sketch (above) is very good in my view and stands very securely on its own merits without any reference to Matthew.

To the extent that, as well as being a good sketch, it's also a satirical dig at him, okay - he's old enough and big enough to cope with that, I think.

But very very first and very very foremost, it's a bloody good sketch.

So it's 'no more digs from me'.

And it's 'no more digs from him'.

I thank you.

I'd be very flattered if someone did a satirical sketch about me LOL

This is a very confusing thread. Heavily edited?