The name of one other show

Hi again. Since my first question was answered so quickly (I have apparently found the collection experts I have been looking for so long), I'm trying one more time. This time I unfortunately have even less to go on.
We are back in the 1980s again. I only remember one sketch: a reporter is investigating a war in Africa. They ask a soldier about why he is fighting and he answers "...I just came across the river to complain about the noise, and now they won't let me go!".

Can anyone crack this one?

Best regards,

Jesper

Could be Drop the Dead Donkey.

NO, It was a sketch show, I remember it as many short sketches.

Jesper

Hej Jesper og velkommen.
Lyder meget som Monty Python humour, gør det ikke?

Ok this board has been conquered by Vikings, pleas learn Danish asap :-)
.jo, men kender python og det er ikke dem. det her var nyt I 80'erne. I de gamle monopol dage. Stilen var ikke helt så anarkistisk som phyton, men det med små løsrevne sketches var naturligvis lidt af det samme.

Sounds like something that could have been in Not The Nine O'Clock News. Unfortunately it's not a show that is available on DVD.

Quote: jesper @ October 10 2010, 8:11 AM BST

Ok this board has been conquered by Vikings, pleas learn Danish asap :-)
.jo, men kender python og det er ikke dem. det her var nyt I 80'erne. I de gamle monopol dage. Stilen var ikke helt så anarkistisk som phyton, men det med små løsrevne sketches var naturligvis lidt af det samme.

They were conquered long ago mate ;-)
Dave Allen perhaps?

not not "Not The Nine O'Clock News" that is out on DVD and I got them. and not Dave Allen either, it was more fast paced as I recall and with a lot more anarchy. I got most of Dave Allens shows on DVD and it has a totally different feeling.

I kind of remember another sketch with a man taking in some kind of accent (my englich is not good enough to say where it was from, but some kind of farmer accent). he is taking about hunting and says "all you need to go hunting (pronounced something like hoonting), is a gun (pronounced something like goon) and a dog (pronounced something like doog), and then he proceeds to shoot the dog.
this last bit is very veak in my memmory, so it migt be wrong.
Jesper

Going over the chronological list on this site, I'm starting to think that it might be Who Dares Wins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dares_Wins_%28TV_series%29). The name rings a bell, but I'm far from certain. Does anybody remember anything about the style of this show?
I have not been able to find it on DVD. :-(

Jesper

No, it's not available on DVD, sadly. Sounds possible though, from what I know of the series.

Worth noting that if you bought the British Not The Nine O'Clock News DVDs, they were just 'highlights' collections. If they're Danish releases, do you know if they are dubbed or not?

The DVDs are British I bought them in a HMW in London last year. They might be highlights. They are called "the best of". Apparently they were originally released as "Nice Video Shame About The Hedgehog" and "The Gorilla Kinda Lingers". They are not dubbed, we do not subscribe to that kind of barbarianism in Denmark. :-)

You can get them at Play.com
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/123340/The-Best-Of-Not-The-Nine-O-Clock-News-Volume-1/Product.html]
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/174651/The-Best-Of-Not-The-Nine-O-Clock-News-Volume-2/Product.html]

Jesper

Oh yes, that was the one. Found this clip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7wfQMhkEY
...and it is the show. Now I just have to locate the right episode. But as I only had three or four on my old VHS, it should be possible.

Yeah, sadly those NTNOCN DVDs are just highlights. I'm oppossed to such things on principle - I want complete collections!

Quote: Aaron @ October 10 2010, 7:26 PM BST

Yeah, sadly those NTNOCN DVDs are just highlights. I'm oppossed to such things on principle - I want complete collections!

I've got both the "Best of's"... for some of us, it's much better to have a "Best of" than having no shot a seeing it. BBC America is too busy showing Star Trek: Next Generation to show classic BBC comedies.

Our channels aren't any better.