Harry & Paul - Series 3 Page 6

Wonderful second episode. Some pretty dark sketches, and I can't believe I missed last week that Parking Pataweyo was a kids' show spoof. Lots of laughs, really top stuff.

The Berlesconi sketch was still funny and Dragon's Den was worth another run out, but I think I am going to get bored of this before another couple of episodes are out. The benefits family and the "is he a queer' sketch are already starting to have a fingernails on a blackboard effect.

I looove the 'Queer' sketches.
But could do without the chav family now. (Although it's a decent idea.)

I thought it was great although I was fearing the worst.

Loved the Quairs with their Big Airs - with hairs too. Brilliant makeup.

In the Beatles sketch there was an odd moment at the end of 'Yelp!', the Newsrevuesque parody of 'Help!', when someone shouted 'Ouch!' - the title of the Rutles brilliant pastiche of the same song. I am no certain whether or not it was deliberate, but in terms of drawing attention to the weakness of the material it was unfortunate.

I did think the Beatles sketch was the weak point.

As you say after the Ruttles there's no point in doing one - especially as half of them are dead.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 28 2010, 6:37 PM BST

The BCG are referring to it as Series 3...

This is definitely Series 3. The BBC database system just can't cope with a name change so it starts the count again and that's why it's showing 'Series 2' on iPlayer. I believe the re-numbering is also a move to try and bury the awful first series... but it did happen whether they like it or not!

As proof this is Series 3 just look at many of the sketches - Charles and Sheridan, The Polish coffee shop man, 'I Saw You Coming' etc - they all started life in Series 1 (Ruddy Hell).

Anyway, new series... hating the shouty chavs (where's the joke?), loving Psycho Bean.

I really dislike the Coffee Shop sketches. There's just such a negative air about them. I know some people like that sort of comedy but it's never really been my thing.

Not sure if I'm liking them expanding on the 'Writer and Landlady' format either. The ones from the previous series were amusing for being set in a general formula and kind of creepy, but adding things in like acting out one of the books and the landlady character being abused...Hmmm.

It may well be the case they'll grow on me in time. For example, the second Pattewayo sketch was less "..Is this racist?" and more amusingly silly with the wire work. Also liked the Doctor Who sketch, mainly because ITV have been trying to copy its new success for years.

Why are the still commissioning this. Not a single sketch is funny.The "sketch" with the chavs and the dog is highly irritating and I don't get it. The Italian Prime Minister is just unfunny. Parking Pataweyo could be seen as racist but it is closest to the old Harry Enfield Show stuff. Probable A Queer could get them into trouble if not careful. Dragon's Den stuff borders on funny.

Quote: Mike88 @ October 6 2010, 8:42 PM BST

Probable A Queer could get them into trouble if not careful.

It shouldn't. It's only a simple satire of casual upper middle-class bigotry. It doesn't use the word queer out of context, nor does it make any assertion that homosexuality is, of itself, wrong or abnormal. So where's the problem?

There will come a day when political coorectness will consume all comedy.

The shouty chavs are among my favourites. I'm sure they'd look rubbish on paper, but the performances and the relentlessness make them work for me.

Basically, Whitehouse telling a barking dog to "Shut it!" constantly... I find this hilarious.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 6 2010, 11:25 PM BST

It shouldn't. It's only a simple satire of casual upper middle-class bigotry. It doesn't use the word queer out of context, nor does it make any assertion that homosexuality is, of itself, wrong or abnormal. So where's the problem?

You can still get sued for claiming somebody's a gay who isn't. Harry and Paul are probably safe behind the shield of comedy, but they're not necessary immune.

(plus, they're picking on targets so far who are extremely unlikely to complain -- the prime minister, a man constantly being sued for libel, and a pleasant octogenarian)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 6 2010, 11:37 PM BST

Basically, Whitehouse telling a barking dog to "Shut it!" constantly... I find this hilarious.

I find it gives me a headache.

Quote: Timbo @ October 6 2010, 11:38 PM BST

I find it gives me a headache.

It gave me a headache too.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 6 2010, 11:37 PM BST

Agreed.