BBC Comedy Blu-Ray Page 2

Thank you, *Aaron*.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through some massive palaver with a hat-wearing, pseudo-celebrity telling me to get over myself and embrace the onset of cataracts, so HD probably won't matter in the long run, because that could have got all awkward...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 23 2010, 11:32 AM BST

Thank you, *Aaron*.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through some massive palaver with a hat-wearing, pseudo-celebrity telling me to get over myself and embrace the onset of cataracts, so HD probably won't matter in the long run, because that could have got all awkward...

Dan

Hey, I'm just trying to stop you wasting your money on worthless purchses, you Northern trog.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 23 2010, 11:28 AM BST

Not True HD surely? Isn't that a video thing?

It's a bit of a difficult question to answer (certainly without getting stupidly technical) as when we discuss 'HD' we're really talking about the resolution of the picture (i.e. number of pixels). But a good quality bit of film is insanely accurate - it has to be to produce the stonking great pictures on cinema screens. It all depends on the transfer method and quality of course, but even just a 'good' digital transfer of a film is, in its raw state, generally many times the resolution of the best HDTV picture.

It's a common misconception that HD is a new 2000s technology. The Japanese were exhibiting what we'd call HD back in the 1960s (through complex and massively pricey projection systems); it's producing the displays that took so long to develop.

So, I'll have to buy a super-HD telly soon anyway then?

What a waste!

Quote: David Bussell @ September 23 2010, 11:34 AM BST

Hey, I'm just trying to stop you wasting your money on worthless purchses, you Northern trog.

I apologies profusely, you great Southern illiterate.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 23 2010, 11:48 AM BST

So, I'll have to buy a super-HD telly soon anyway then?

Actually, yes. My Dad went to a demonstration a couple of years ago - blows current HD right out of the water, apparently. Think along the lines of film taken from a helicopter above skyscrapers where you can read the name of the shop on a plastic bag someone's carrying down the road.

Betamax was best.

:)

Why would anybody want to see a sitcom in HD?
Sitcoms are pretty much populated by unattractive people. I don't want to see them in high definition.

Oh, that's something actually. Psychoville is available on Blu-ray.

Even if it were a DVD, it's a pretty good price from Amazon.

See Amazon product listing

That is a damn good price.

I don't think Blu-Rays are going to be that much more expensive than DVDs to be honest. They will very quickly come down in price, similarly to their predecessors.

Whatever Bussell says... ;)

Dan

I'm waiting for Psychoville to come out over here...but I did get to buy Being Human on Blu-Ray.

Quote: michael b @ September 23 2010, 10:18 PM BST

Swerytd, a few Blu-ray sitcom releases for your list.

1)Gavin and Stacey.

2)Extras - The Special.

Woohoo! Not buying them has really worked out well in the long run!

Well, except for Extras - The Special... which I did... :(

Dan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11436939

This HDTV thing is gettin' effin silly !

I mean, what would a DVD of Andy Pandy or Watch With Mother look like on that screen?

No better I'll warrant !

It is! There is extra plot released with the higher-definition!

Dan