Lovejoy

Sir/Madam, I have just noticed you do not have Lovejoy listed anywhere in your guide. And yet you have Minder and others similar.

I'm just watching the first series of Lovejoy (the best, from memory, imo) and noted how much humour it has in it, and how fantastically scripted it is (by Ian Le Franais no less). If this isn't a cue for a comedy drama listing I do not know what is. In fact I'd say it was very easily one of the best comedy dramas ever made.

I am sure it's a minor oversight in what is an otherwise excellent guide.

(ps. I noticed Budgie wasn't listed either, ahem.)

I liked the first series but latter when it moved out west and Lovejoy got too sweary and began stabbing people in the liver I lost interest.

I didn't watch avidly after the 2nd series, tbh, just occasionally. It took so flippin long for the Beeb to commission the 2nd series (one of the biggest oversights in their idiotic history of missed opportunities) that even this, the 2nd series had lost a lot of the flavour of the great first series, screened a massive five years earlier. There was no Gimbert for a start, and that was a big loss imo, as instead we got more of his uncharismatic sidekick with the sidecar, Eric. And it meant no Gimbert's little sister who used to get her nobs out, on occasion.

I haven't looked but I suspect that they'd lost Le Frenais as the writer also, and that would probably make it less amusing and possibly seem less of a comedy drama and more a drama, dunno, can't remember that far back. Anyway, first series is most definitely comedy drama and very good quality at that. And it's much cheaper at mo than later series (which were longer, I think?). V glad I snapped it up, I can tell you.

There must have been more than two series of Lovejoy surely?

Ask Leevil. He was a big fan. He fancied Lady Jane you know.

Oh yeah, it went on till the mid 90s at least but I don't think it ever achieved the quality of the first series.

It was great .

I'm a big Lovejoy fan. Great characters and well written. Series 2 is my favourite by some way. I was a bit sad when Lady Jane and Eric left.

I liked Tinker. (Also isn't there a bookshop in London called Lovejoys that has a sex shop in the basement?)

Couldn't lake Lovejoy seriously after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrunPV6P1g

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2010, 2:47 PM BST

I liked Tinker. (Also isn't there a bookshop in London called Lovejoys that has a sex shop in the basement?)

Is that the one near Rupert Street?

Quote: Ben @ September 11 2010, 3:04 PM BST

Is that the one near Rupert Street?

Not sure. It's a good shop. You can stand reading the (unsealed) magazines then leave without anyone knowing what you've been doing for three hours.

There are a number of those book/sex shops.

Probably. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 10 2010, 8:13 PM BST

And it meant no Gimbert's little sister who used to get her nobs out, on occasion.

You like chicks with dicks?

Anyway, Lovejoy... I've never seen it, so have no clue if we should be listing it or not. I was under the impression that it was very much a drama though. Can anyone else offer thoughts on it?

Quote: Aaron @ September 11 2010, 5:56 PM BST

You like chicks with dicks?

Don't know, haven't tried one yet. I meant her nippy nobs.

Quote: Aaron @ September 11 2010, 5:56 PM BST

Anyway, Lovejoy... I've never seen it, so have no clue if we should be listing it or not. I was under the impression that it was very much a drama though. Can anyone offer thoughts on it?

Yes, it's a comedy drama, very much so. The first series was penned by La Frenais with stacks of humour. And it's brill.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2010, 3:38 PM BST

Not sure. It's a good shop. You can stand reading the (unsealed) magazines then leave without anyone knowing what you've been doing for three hours.

I was thinking of Soho Books on Brewer Street. Will look out for Lovejoys though.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 11 2010, 7:26 PM BST

Yes, it's a comedy drama, very much so. The first series was penned by La Frenais with stacks of humour. And it's brill.

I always saw it as a drama with a little bit of humour. Only seen one episode of the first series, but didn't seem that hilarious compared to later series.

It was funnier than Big Top, if that helps.