Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

I know it isn't really a sitcom, but it's stil worthy of a mention. Who else here likes it? :) :) :) :) :)

i like it, i can't remember a lot of it, i suppose that when ever it was shown i was out but i can remember a particular episode when they got captured in a jungle then when they got saved they said instead of going straight home they would stay and finish building the village. quite good, i might look into getting some V.D's of it.

Absoloutley FaNtAbUlOuS!
Very funny, very well acted, Brilliant.....
Top tottie

Great show, the kind of thing that probably wouldn't make it on to our screens in this day and age, or if it did they would water it down and cast Nicolas Lyndhurst, that wanker from My Family, whichever ex soap star is popular at the moment and Neil Morrisey.

The first two series were excellent. I wasn't so keen on the episodes that came after that. It wasn't the same after the guy who played Wayne died.

It was just one of those programmes that traveled well. I recently watched the whole of series 2 and found it to be timeless. I didn't really go for the revival as although it was funny, I found it just wasn't as gritty and as charming as the first two series. Perhaps Gary Holt wasn't the greatest actor when he was alive but even so, when he died I thought 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' lost the spark that made it so complete. They really don't make them like that anymore.

Quote: lewisroberts @ January 20, 2007, 7:12 PM

i like it, i can't remember a lot of it, i suppose that when ever it was shown i was out but i can remember a particular episode when they got captured in a jungle then when they got saved they said instead of going straight home they would stay and finish building the village. quite good, i might look into getting some V.D's of it.

Lewis
Your thinking of the later ones made by the BBC, these were nowhere as good as the original ones made by ITV back in the early 80's, if you get a chance watch these we share a sense of humour me and you and I absolutely loved them.

Details

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086665

cheers britcom, as i say i can't rmember the earlier ones but if the ones i saw were bad then i would love to see the ones that are good cheers

Lewis, you really should watch the first two series. A gritty, down to earth, funny and touching show, made during the days when ITV were not afraid to take a few risks (with this and Minder they turned out two of the best shows of the 80s.)

The BBC episodes were nowhere near as good. I lost interest after the first series.

The 1st 2 seasons set in Germany were great. Wasn't the same when they went to Spain.

I was just into my teenage years at the time, and couldn't help watching coz every week they went in search of big German prostitutes. Oh how I loved that program

Quote: Wheeler @ January 22, 2007, 4:11 PM

Lewis, you really should watch the first two series. A gritty, down to earth, funny and touching show, made during the days when ITV were not afraid to take a few risks (with this and Minder they turned out two of the best shows of the 80s.)

The BBC episodes were nowhere near as good. I lost interest after the first series.

cheers wheeler i will order the dvd when i find it, how many series was there?

Probably (IMO) one of the best shows ever made. The first two series, Germany and Spain are timeless and peerless too.

The later shows made by the Beeb were really more about going through the motions, good enough, particularly the one about the transporter bridge, but they never captured the early spark.

I watched comedy connections about the show and there had been a behind the scenes fall-out between the creative crew by the time the later ones were made.

Shame really and I think all things being equal this should have bowed out after series 2. Perhaps it went to the well once or twice too often. Cleese had the idea with Fawlty; leave them wanting more.

Probably my favourite TV programme of all time. No - not a real sitcom but very funny. Couldn't be otherwise with LaFrenais and Clement. Loved the first series and just finishing watching the second on DVD at the moment.

Although the other 3 (?) weren't quite up to that standard they were still a hell of a lot better than most other TV. Incidentally there's always the argument that ITV 25 minute sitcoms are crap they could always do the longer ones like AWP and of course Minder.

This is being shown on ITV4 Tues and Wed next week (Jan 27 and 28).

I've got the DVDs of series 1 & 2 well worth the dosh and can be picked up now for Under £14!!!!!

*sobs* They cost me over £40 quid and I thought that that was a bargain a couple of years ago.

Check this!!!!

Fully agree with David Chapman's comments - my favourite TV programme of all time too. The first two series will never be bettered - moments of high drama and hilarity, a brilliant cast, brilliantly scripted. Just a classic, classic programme. And it is timeless - I introduced my wife to it 4-5 years back and she loved it too.