BBC's New Writing Initiatives Page 8

:P

And now the main feature tonight...

College Of Comedy presents All Mixed Up.

Quote: sootyj @ August 25 2010, 7:17 PM BST

innit

good gravy can't any one type these days?

Innit is a southern term I believe, we don't say that up north.
Anyway getting back to the beeb's initiatives.....

What's wrong with "that" perfectly servicable word.

dummy

Quote: Griff @ August 24 2010, 9:59 PM BST

It's possible that the great Muslim sitcom which becomes the 21st century classic national treasure the BBC are hoping and praying for could be written by some atheistic ginge from the Isle Of Wight, who's looked up all about Muslims on funnyforeigners.com. But I think more likely to come from someone writing from their own life experience.

"Four Lions" was written by several white middle-class blokes and was generally thought to be an accurate portrayal of certain aspects of working-class Muslim life in 21st century Britain.

Though I doubt the BBC is looking for a sitcom about suicide bombers.

Quote: Griff @ August 28 2010, 11:51 AM BST

Will you be having a go yourself?

Funnily enough I've been thinking about writing something about 'multi-cultural' Britain for some time now.

But I tend to think of Benedict Wong's character in "15 Storeys High" as being an example of the type of 'racial comedy' that the BBC should be looking for, not just recasting "My Family" with a bunch of Indians or doing a remake of "Desmond's" (which I suspect is what will happen, though I have no proof of this, just my Spidey intuition)

They could save time and money (and get the Daily Mail on their side) by sticking repeats of "Curry and Chips" on BBC2 when the tapes of "Dad's Army" finally melt through overuse.

Quote: bushbaby @ August 26 2010, 9:53 PM BST

Innit is a southern term I believe, we don't say that up north.
Anyway getting back to the beeb's initiatives.....

Not true. Big favourite of the Asian community, even up north.

Quote: Lbug @ August 28 2010, 3:05 PM BST

Not true. Big favourite of the Asian community, even up north.

I guess I must mix with the right crowd then

The All Mixed Up contest has been launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2010/08/new_college_of_comedy_initiati.shtml

In the T&Cs, it says they want sitcoms that will appeal to ALL ages. Does this mean that humble traditional comedy is making a comeback? Hope so.
I'm so bored with non laughter track, realistic, slice o' life gumph.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 31 2010, 4:34 PM BST

In the T&Cs, it says they want sitcoms that will appeal to ALL ages. Does this mean that humble traditional comedy is making a comeback? Hope so.
I'm so bored with non laughter track, realistic, slice o' life gumph.

A comeback? Isn't there already a mix of the different styles of sitcom right now?

All I see are dramas labelled as sitcoms like Roger And Val, Getting On, Outnumbered.
Or vehicles for comedians like Peep Show, Ideal.
Or puerile teen comedy. (that its target audience don't actually watch)

When I think sitcom, I see Only Fools, One Foot, stuff like that.
Of which there isn't anything like it on the box currently.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 31 2010, 8:47 PM BST

All I see are dramas labelled as sitcoms like Roger And Val, Getting On, Outnumbered.
Or vehicles for comedians like Peep Show, Ideal.
Or puerile teen comedy. (that its target audience don't actually watch)

When I think sitcom, I see Only Fools, One Foot, stuff like that.
Of which there isn't anything like it on the box currently.

I enjoy a wide variety of sitcoms meself; be it Only Fools or Peep Show. I'd hate to restrict my comedy viewing.

It's just that I don't really find "modern" or "trendy" stuff that funny.

Maybe I'm just being too fussy.

Hello there! I've just got back from being away, rather than ignoring the discussion. The competition was my idea, it's not about box-ticking, it's open to all, and I'm hoping that it will inspire some writers to chip in who might be feeling that the BBC isn't interested in what they have to say. Indeed, I've had several emails along those lines. As long as the entries fulfil the brief, there are no preconceptions.

Quote: bushbaby @ August 28 2010, 4:15 PM BST

I guess I must mix with the right crowd then

Erm...