The Mighty Boosh Page 5

Woop, Julian is narrating La La Land on BBC3. He makes a well funny show even better. Anyone been watching it? They're doing a double bill catch up on Sunday, only two episodes gone so far.

There's a thread for it somewhere. Doesn't seem to have made many fans.

It's great; funny, innovative and oddly charming. However I have noticed a small fall off in quality from radio series to series three, possibly due to Noel Fielding starting to believe his own bullshit and convince himself he's a rock star.
That's a minor gripe, though; it still has some of the best comedy lines of the last decade. I've heard 'I'm Old Gregg' shouted at 4 am in the middle of the fogbound North Yorks Moors - I speeded up in case it was.

This has been quite a divisive sitcom - and I can see why. There is some dubious acting, the doubletalk can get annoying and sometimes random is meant to translate to funny. The live shows contain some funny bad taste humour and some plain bad taste. I originally watched this sitcom among some old favourites of mine, and was nonplussed. There are a few misses among the hits here.

When I came back to it, however, it grew on me. After watching it further, I realised that a lot of the 'randomness' fitted together to make the bizarre whole of the show's world, and some of the characters are endearing without trying. Noel Fielding may be iconic, but for me Julian Barratt made this programme. The show is excitingly experimental, has a cumulative humour and is a breath of fresh air. I have always enjoyed surrealism, absurdism and pop-art, and this show manages to weave them together in a comical way.

Don't go into this thinking 'sitcom'. Just watch it for a while to see what it is about. If you are going to like it, it might have to grow on you. I would definitely not put it in my top ten favourites, nor would I say that it's the best written sitcom that I've seen, but it is very clever and very hip and I like it a lot. Every artform needs refreshing and this does it for the sitcom in the new millennium.

When I first watched this I had trouble getting my head around it. I watched every episode twice to understand and piece it all together. It's really a wonderful world.

The best place to start for anyone who hasn't watched this is Series 2. The storylines are great and the set looks so very pretty. I'm a such a fan of these; even Series 3 was great to watch - but it's not their best.

I saw them live a couple of years ago. I was near the front and could see the whites of Noel's eyes, at one point he stared at me, I kept very still afraid he might mock me. The live show was absolutely fantastic. It was well organised with their props, the moon, they sang a bit and there was stuff, extra stuff added (I'm sure they probably couldn't get away with on TV). :D

What on Earth has happened to this show? Rumours of a fourth series, followed by rumours of a film version and then it all died a death.

I don't think series 4 was ever a runner but about a year and a half ago there was a lot of buzz around the film and even an album of songs from the show. This doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. Both Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt for now at least seem to have gone their separate ways which is a pity because I think the boosh was the most refreshingly strange and original comedy for a long time.

I think it stopped at the right time. It doesn't need any more.

As I've probably said before, we don't need any more Howard and Vince, really. But it'd be great if they carried on working together with new TV projects.

Don't forget to watch Noel this Saturday on BBC One's Let's Dance for Comic Relief!

Don't know what dance he's doing, but it should certainly be interesting.

Why can't they evolve the characters into another project - like Rik and Ade did with their characters through several series?

I think there will be another series, it's inevitable really. Besides, they need to make up for the rather poor third series.

I can't find the link, but on one of the "Spooky Happenings" sites, one man told of how he and his friend were walking across the moors late at night, and out of the darkness heard someone shout "I'm Old Greg!". And, despite them knowing the reference, they both started running.

Yeah I heard about that! Laughing out loud

Think it was on the North Yorkshire Moors, which has it's fair share of strange people just in daylight, let alone at night.

What is happenig with this. A great milestone in the contemporary 'alternative comedy' tradition and it just stopped without word of whether there will be more or not.
Any info, anybody?