The Brittas Empire Page 4

I thought the first part of the first series was pretty weak, but it picked up a lot in later ones. The change of writers did it no favours though.

I loved the episode where the leisure centre was under siege by Roman reenacters because Brittas was holding the Centurion's son captive. It ended, as I remember, with the Romans catapulting the engine block of a Morris Marina through the Brittas' window, which had me helpless with laughter.

Quote: Spaceowl @ August 10 2010, 12:25 PM BST

I loved the episode where the leisure centre was under siege by Roman reenacters because Brittas was holding the Centurion's son captive. It ended, as I remember, with the Romans catapulting the engine block of a Morris Marina through the Brittas' window, which had me helpless with laughter.

Classic episode.

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 9 2010, 1:35 PM BST

I must have missed that one when originally broadcast.. of scrubbed it from my mind. Coe was out MP for a term, I met him on the door step where he told me the Pol tax was a wonderful idea and most unemployed people didn't want to work...I am looking forwards to the one with the drug dealer war in the leisure centre, I remember Brittas having to defend the fact that he cut the head off a guy with a chainsaw!My son (10) I though wouldn't get Brittas, but he seems to really enjoy it.

That was the Sebastian Coe episode, Series 4, episode 1, entitled 'Not A Good Day..'

I remember watching parts of the series in my early teens.
It's no less than a crime that the DVD(box set)s have been discontinued.

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 8 2010, 10:29 PM BST

Liked the episode where Sebastian Coe guested as the celebrity to officially re-open the leisure centre.

You're misremembering. Sebestian Coe was in fact publicising a charity bike ride (where the main cyclist dies). He also opened a bog in the centre, or at least was supposed to.

The episode were everyone has to bring a date to the dance is sublime-Colin brings a man in drag, Linda brings an older man, Carole's man gets lost in the ventilation system, everyone seems to be onto a loser...

We seem to forget this was an ensemble show.

I don't know if people are aware (or care ;) ) but Chris Barrie has said that one of the original writers has been coming up with new ideas for where Brittas could be at now with the thought that the show could be revived. The other writer is apparently not interested in working in TV again.

Any thoughts on this?

I loved the first 5 series of the show but it doesn't seem to have a very high reputation with many people. And I can't imagine it would generate huge viewing figures nowadays...

I'm reliably informed that reviving the series is a recurring idea amongst sitcom writers.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001544/the_brittas_empire_may_return/

Sadly this comedy started brilliantly (a fine comment on British business competence that endures to this day!) but it went downhill after the loss of the character of Laura Lancing (Julia St.John) - a pivotal character and a beautiful lady (her finest hour in "New Generations", episode 2/7). if the show is revived, there must be a way to bring her back!

Why didn't Brittas and Laura just have a full-on affair? I'm sure his wife would be grateful for the peace.

It would have made more sense and made for a better show for longer!

Quote: Mark smithers @ 16th November 2014, 11:49 PM GMT

Sadly this comedy started brilliantly (a fine comment on British business competence that endures to this day!) but it went downhill after the loss of the character of Laura Lancing (Julia St.John) - a pivotal character and a beautiful lady (her finest hour in "New Generations", episode 2/7). if the show is revived, there must be a way to bring her back!

Just a little update on this one - I have just seen Julia in a theatre show and can confirm that she is as lovely to meet in person as she is to watch perform.

I think this was a classic show, the characters was great, the setting was great, the things that went wrong was great. Overall a good show, I thought it had more series in it when it finished. I hope it comes back one day.

Is anybody else going to this reunion event tomorrow in Ringwood, the reopening of the leisure centre?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 1st October 2017, 4:12 PM

Is anybody else going to this reunion event tomorrow in Ringwood, the reopening of the leisure centre?

No sadly not but I'd love to see some pictures. If this had have been on a weekend, I would have definitely gone.

Quote: G180e @ 1st October 2017, 5:39 PM

No sadly not but I'd love to see some pictures. If this had have been on a weekend, I would have definitely gone.

Well I'm hoping to get some pictures. I'm not holding out much hope for Chris Barrie as I imagine he'll be the busiest one for photos and such but I'll do my best. Also hoping to get my Chance in a Million DVD signed by Fegan and Norriss.