Funny book? Page 4

I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, he's an amazing writer and very very funny. I wish he was my grandad.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 6 2010, 8:21 PM BST

I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, he's an amazing writer and very very funny. I wish he was my grandad.

Maybe he is but doesn't remember . . ?*

*Apologies to the man losing his memory and sense of self through no fault of his own!

Poor Terry :(

I remember that Danny Yates Must Die was rather funny, but I haven't read it for a decade.

Quote: Dave @ August 2 2010, 11:04 PM BST

I find Sharpe's novels to be very bad-natured,

I found the first two Riotous assembly and Indecent exposure by far his best, he had real bile to spill then about South Africa, much more bite and venom. Of the latter books I guess he had built up some spite (about minor university life) but Wilt which is the best of the latter ones.

The best "funny book" is I think Catch 22. Its complex and knowing yet tender and caring all at once. Is Yosarian a Christ figure who recovers?

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 6 2010, 10:31 PM BST

The best "funny book" is I think Catch 22. Its complex and knowing yet tender and caring all at once. Is Yosarian a Christ figure who recovers?

I mentioned that on the other thread. I've read it about 4 times. It really is brilliant.

Catch 22 is great. Read it as a teenager and loved it. Must give it a re-read. I liked the film too.

Tom Wolfe's good. Bonfire Of The Vanities is fun, but his best by far is The Right Stuff. Very funny, and great if you like space travel and the history of it.

For short stories you can't go wrong with a bit of Raymond Carver. Or Alexi Sayle, for that matter. And sci-fi writer Harlan Ellison always makes me laugh.

Of Tom Sharpe's books, Porterhouse Blue was proably my favourite, he does create really intense little worlds his characters inhabit, in PB this was obviously more notable than in some of the others. Yeah Sharpe is good.

Another good storyteller in the funny book world was Kingsley Amis, tho I have often struggled to finish his books, unlike Tom Sharpe's. I think it's KA's dryer, more literary style that is the poblem for me, it's too dense for comedy reading imo, but I like all the KA film covers, so he tells a good story.

Spike Milligan's war memoir books, 'My Part In ...' were really very funny in patches.

Quote: Chappers @ August 7 2010, 12:20 AM BST

I mentioned that on the other thread. I've read it about 4 times. It really is brilliant.

Well is he Christ in a confusing world? Or just eh only sane person in a war?

Quote: sidecar jon @ August 7 2010, 4:50 PM BST

Well is he Christ in a confusing world? Or just eh only sane person in a war?

Well I'd never thought about the Christ thing - but yes - he is the only sane one.

Quote: Chappers @ August 7 2010, 11:34 PM BST

Well I'd never thought about the Christ thing - but yes - he is the only sane one.

I think the theory hangs on the stab wound under his arm, speared after he's been crucified metaphorically by agreeing to abandon his fellows....

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 7 2010, 1:33 PM BST

Of Tom Sharpe's books, Porterhouse Blue was proably my favourite, he does create really intense little worlds his characters inhabit, in PB this was obviously more notable than in some of the others. Yeah Sharpe is good.

Another good storyteller in the funny book world was Kingsley Amis, tho I have often struggled to finish his books, unlike Tom Sharpe's. I think it's KA's dryer, more literary style that is the poblem for me, it's too dense for comedy reading imo, but I like all the KA film covers, so he tells a good story.

Spike Milligan's war memoir books, 'My Part In ...' were really very funny in patches.

Porterhouse Blue is somehow very vigerous and quite angry. I think it's as good as Wilt, albeit I do like how Wilt settles on a heroic characters. And seems to have more fun mocking politically correct mores.

Anything by Stephen Fry or Bill Bryson!!

http://sugarpie.myblog.it/

How come nobody has mentioned yet John Kennedy Toole?
I have found A confederecy of dunces very weird but surprisingly quite funny.

Sorry I can't upload the bookcover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces http://tinyurl.com/3x88hqs