Going to see stand-up Page 21

Saw Sean Lock tonight, he was brilliant and even had two encores. I had a great night and what value for only £15.

Went to "An Event Of Some Kind" at the Cavendish Arms, London the other night. Really briliant hosts, and always fantastic music and comedy guests (Tim Minchin, Pippa Evans and 6 Day Riot the night I was there).
Highly recommended if you happen to be in London and don't mind being crammed into a tiny back room of a bar!

Daniel Kitson, this Wednesday.

Except it's basically a very long story with added humour.

Went to a gig on Saturday in Birmingham, and can't remember the names of 2 of the comedians, and the web-site doesn't list previous dates. I thought if I described them maybe someone would know.

1. looks a bit like Freddie Starr, does a lot of 'physical' comedy, pulls faces, makes jokes about 'mongs'.

2. looks like George Lamb, talks about being a posh Londoner, puts out a burning croissant with a cappucino.

Quote: AngieBaby @ July 27 2010, 1:34 PM BST

Went to a gig on Saturday in Birmingham, and can't remember the names of 2 of the comedians, and the web-site doesn't list previous dates. I thought if I described them maybe someone would know.

1. looks a bit like Freddie Starr, does a lot of 'physical' comedy, pulls faces, makes jokes about 'mongs'.

2. looks like George Lamb, talks about being a posh Londoner, puts out a burning croissant with a cappucino.

Wow, not sure who either of them are (and not sure, from those descriptions that I want to!).

What venue did you see them at and roughly how long did they do (5, 10, 20 minutes)? It'll help me to know what "level" they're at.

Might be a daft suggestion, but have you tried email the promoter ?

Thanks Tony. It was at HighLights

Number 1 did at least 20 minutes, and was actually called back for an encore. He talks about shagging a cat, if that helps.....

Number 2 did 10 minutes, he was first on, had a nervous laugh.

My sources indicate that the line up was; Danny Buckler, Liam Mullone, Michael Smiley, Steve Harris

Now Danny would probably have been MCing (shortish, posh type, does magic sometimes, probably did a routine about "Phantom of the Opera").

Michael Smiley (Tyres from "Spaced") would probably have been the physical comedian, although I'm surprised you didn't mention his thick Belfast accent, if it was him.

Liam Mullone was probably the posh one as Steve Harris is a big chap from the North West.

Any of those names ring any bells?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ July 27 2010, 2:52 PM BST

My sources indicate that the line up was; Danny Buckler, Liam Mullone, Michael Smiley, Steve Harris

Now Danny would probably have been MCing (shortish, posh type, does magic sometimes, probably did a routine about "Phantom of the Opera").

Michael Smiley (Tyres from "Spaced") would probably have been the physical comedian, although I'm surprised you didn't mention his thick Belfast accent, if it was him.

Liam Mullone was probably the posh one as Steve Harris is a big chap from the North West.

Any of those names ring any bells?

The MC's surname was definitely Warburton, I Googled the names on the site, and those you've mentioned Tony and it's none of those guys. Wish I'd taken a screen shot, instead of a sambuca shot!

Aaah, this Sherlock Holmes deduction thing isn't as easy as it looks...

John Warburton?

And it was definitely Highlight in Birmingham?

Yeah, it's a head scratcher, thanks for trying. I've sent Highlight an email so hopefully they'll get back to me.

Well...

I can tell you that the first act was Joe Borr, he was the posh one, act 2 on Saturday was Andre Vincent and the closer was Steve Harris.

All held together by yours truly. Not an easy gig that night.

Friday's Number 2 act was Phil Nichol.

hth

Anyone seen a London comic called Pete Cain? I saw him support Jim Jeffries the other night and he was very funny.

Thanks Jdub,

that's really helpful. You did a great job, and eveyone enjoyed themselves. The crowd weren't nearly as badly behaved as previous shows I've been to there, but were a little subdued. We popped in on the off chance that we could get a ticket on the door and were surprised they managed to get us a table at such short notice.

I went to see Matt Kirshen at one of the Camden Fringe performances on Saturday night. He was really funny. Really enjoyed it. He had some classic real life stories which I loved.