La La Land Page 3

Quote: Simon B @ May 29 2010, 7:38 AM BST

Why is the format (by which I assume you mean the interaction with real people for comic effect) tired and done to death?

Because there have been dozens of hidden camera shows and dozens of embarrassment shows in the past decade; funny (to some), yes, but seeing another listed in the schedules fills some of us with a dreading feeling now.

I must say, I did share similar reservations before the show. I'm a big hater of prank shows. However, the prank element isn't really that pronounced. It's somewhere between prank (the camera's never hidden as such) and the impro of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I do find it hard to watch at times as he really goes right to the edge & beyond.
But he is brilliant at this sort of thing and some of the bits are pure genius.

Is this really a prank show? There's no reveal or ho ho ho denoument.

Accepting that even without that, the idea's still been done before, I'd question whether it's ever been done so well. He is particularly subtle at judging a character trait that is going to get under the target's skin, and do so gradually, and then drawing the situation out in agonising detail - even over repeat encounters in the case of Ruta.

Compared to this, Borat was a hit and run artist.

I've enjoyed these. The 'rib story' escalation was brilliant.

Marc Wooton's on Front Row in a minute talking about this.

La La Land has been nominated a Rose d'Or. Quite rightly so.

The medium is my fav. He had me laughing lots. The cockney fella was quite funny but I was not quite so keen on the director.