Clive James

I searched and couldn't find any threads specifically about Clive.

I used to love his Sunday night shows - Maria Pracatan and all.

I was thinking that in those days we used to cringe at the antics on those Japanese game shows but now they're just "normal" following crap like Big Brother and "I'm a nobody - get me in here so I can relaunch my dead career."

Does anybody actually remember those shows and were they any different to what we get now? We used to think it could only happen with those mental Japanese.

Ha, I always used to watch Clive James.

I do remember thos clips of the crazy Japanese shows, and I guess we do have them over here now. Total Wipeout etc.

I liked his Sunday night shows. Back from when ITV used to stick comedies and light entertainment in that 10pm slot.

I also enjoyed his memoirs. Very funny, for an Australian.

Not so keen on those songs he did with that other chap.

Songs?

I used to get him mixed up with Anderson.

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2010, 12:26 PM BST

I used to get him mixed up with Anderson.

Baldist!

He did songs with another chap and then toured dinner clubs or something. I heard him on Front Row talking to Mark Lawson about them.

http://www.clivejames.com/audio/song-show

Pete Atkin. I couldn't remember the name and had to Google it.

Sad to see he seems to be on the way out. Quite an original - although we have him to blame for "I'm a Celebrity...."

I always watched his chat show when I was little, I likes him. He did Tweet after all the fuss today that he's okay for the moment, so hopefully he'll be around for a while longer!

Clive James has a great minor role in the second Barry McKenzie movie, Barry McKenzie Holds His Own, swilling beer non-stop. I loved his TV shows but found his memoirs to be not very funny, for an Australian. In the late 1970s he reviewed a volume of Spike Milligan's war memoirs and suggested that Milligan's recollections were "unreliable". Milligan responded with a prelude note in his next memoir (Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall) declaring that Clive James was an "unreliable critic" (because Milligan had meticulously researched events, and consulted diaries and old soldier friends). Clive took the "unreliable" tag for the title of his own memoirs, the first volume of which was published the following year.

Been watching a few of the Postcard From repeats on BBC4. Hadn't planned to watch the Rome one tonight, but glad I did.

Thought the New York one was really good, with the hilarious seaweed treatment sequence, and overall insights and footage.

Can't remember much about the London one, except for the guy on Oxford Street with the Eat Less Protein placard and pamphlets.

Didn't catch Sydney in time. No longer on iPlayer.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st June 2012, 10:06 PM

Sad to see he seems to be on the way out.

He did live for seven more years though.