Mongrels - Series 1

This new series begins on 22nd June. I'm unsure how I feel to this programme. It seems to have a good cast (Katy Brand, Dan Tetsell etc.) and I'm a sucker for anything involving anthropomorphic animals, but then again, it is a BBC Three sitcom. Will it be Two Pints or Gavin & Stacey? Don't ask me - I've not seen either of them.

Nice title.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 3 2010, 3:04 PM BST

Nice title.

Yes. Show doesn't fill me with much hope, though.

I've heard good things.

It should be pointed out the title of the show has now changed. It is now just Mongrels.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 11 2010, 9:01 PM BST

It should be pointed out the title of the show has now changed. It is now just Mongrels.

I imagine because of 'We Are Klang' on the same channel.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 11 2010, 9:01 PM BST

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 11 2010, 9:03 PM BST

I imagine because of 'We Are Klang' on the same channel.

Ouch!

Anyway, preview clips here for anyone interested. I see what they mean about the Family Guy influence with the random cutaways and things like that: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mongrels/videos/

Just watched the clips. Everyone Loves A Lesbian made me laugh. Probably one for iPlayer though as I don't think it's my wife's cup of tea.

The BBC has published a blog post about the characters.

EDIT: More detailed entries are on the show's official webpage.

I wish somebody had mentioned Daniel Peak was involved before I watched. It was nothing special but I'm not sure I'll watch again. And I couldn't really engage with the characters. I don't know if that's because they're puppets or the writing.

I thought it was good fun and delighted to see some very near the knuckle jokes.

I'm not sure what to make of this show. There's an influence of Family Guy in its somewhat tangential asides. It probably cultivates offensiveness too much for its own sake. Too many pop culture references too.

I can't say I found it laugh out loud amusing but I did watch to the end.

Time will tell.

Some good laughs, but I also couldn't quite make up my mind about it in places. I did enjoy it on the whole though and will certainly not shy away from watching the rest.

I liked the distinctive characters and some of the characterisation was clever. But some being shocking for it's own sake.

It certainly wasn't dull and rattled along but I didn't care about the characters or what they got up to. And, as already pointed out, it did feel like an attempt to do a British Family Guy, with the cut aways and (what the writers think is) risque humour.