Victoria Wood's Mid-Life Christmas Page 9

Quote: James Cotter @ June 14 2010, 9:01 PM BST

What was the deal about Wood's Short Term Memories? Why did they re-run a Christmas Special in June only six month after it originally aired. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but I found the whole concept a tad unusual. Anyone know what was the decision behind this?

I think it's called "filling the schedule without spending any more money".

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 14 2010, 9:06 PM BST

I doubt it was by overwhelming public demand.
I think Victoria Wood is great, but the last couple of specials I've seen aren't a patch on her earlier work.

I have to agree but I've still really enjoyed them. She's never really going to beat As Seen On TV as it was such a good show. I think she knows that too.

Is it Christmas again?

Quote: bigfella @ June 14 2010, 9:58 PM BST

Is it Christmas again?

Don't think so, but in case I'm wrong can you suggest a late stockingfiller?

Is that Victoria? :O

Quote: Badge @ June 14 2010, 10:00 PM BST

Don't think so, but in case I'm wrong can you suggest a late stockingfiller?

As it happens I can! A cracking read..... Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ June 14 2010, 9:10 PM BST

I think it's called "filling the schedule without spending any more money".

I'm surprised that they re-tilted it and re-broadcast it only six months after the original broadcast. I'm also surprised it hasn't been released on DVD. Do you know why?

Quote: James Cotter @ June 15 2010, 2:35 PM BST

I'm surprised that they re-tilted it and re-broadcast it only six months after the original broadcast. I'm also surprised it hasn't been released on DVD. Do you know why?

I can guess.
1) Because it isn't Christmas, it was slated, and a new title provides an "amusing" gag as well as hiding its roots.
2) Because it's not very good.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 15 2010, 2:35 PM BST

I'm also surprised it hasn't been released on DVD. Do you know why?

Offhand I'm not sure if the last special (2000?) has been released on DVD, but I expect they'll get higher sales figures if they put it out for the Christmas shopping season.

When her peculiarly massive success dried up in the early 90s, the woman should have gone back to working in a bakers, next door to the chip shop. She could have spent all that money on meat and potato pies and chips and victoria sponges. Instead she convinced herself that the public still needed her inimitible wit and charm. Wrong move move, luv.

Quote: Aaron @ June 16 2010, 12:02 AM BST

Offhand I'm not sure if the last special (2000?) has been released on DVD, but I expect they'll get higher sales figures if they put it out for the Christmas shopping season.

Yes it has. I have got the DVD. Victoria Wood with All The Trimmings.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 16 2010, 10:18 AM BST

When her peculiarly massive success dried up in the early 90s, the woman should have gone back to working in a bakers, next door to the chip shop. She could have spent all that money on meat and potato pies and chips and victoria sponges. Instead she convinced herself that the public still needed her inimitible wit and charm. Wrong move move, luv.

I still like her!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 16 2010, 10:18 AM BST

Instead she convinced herself that the public still needed her inimitible wit and charm. Wrong move move, luv.

She's not done so badly; in fact, didn't she win a Bafta recently? She wouldn't have got that making pies.

Yeah but baftas are aways given to intitutions like her whose career has hit the rocks. Same as that tribute show last year, it's just the same old bunch of like minded luvvies giving a huge benefit gig to someone from their past. Backslappers united.