Will Hay

Anyone a fan of this brilliant comedian. He starred in great comedy films in the 30s and 40s with Moore Marriot and Graham Moffat. My favourite film of this trio is Ask A Policeman But my second favourite film of the trio, Oh, Mr Porter! is on at 10:00 on BBC Four. An absolutely brilliant, undated, funny film. It apparantly gave Jimmy Perry the idea of Dad's Army - Old Man, Young Man and Pompous Man. Anyway, give the film a watch, it's fantastic.

Love Hay. The Ghost Of St. Michaels is another great one (as are most).

One of the Greats.

Have you seen 'Where's That Fire?' ?

The scene with the flagpole is a classic!

Snag is, if you haven't you probably won't.

For some reason it's not available, fortunately I had a copy on VHS which I've transferred to DVD.

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 16 2008, 11:56 PM BST

One of the Greats.

Have you seen 'Where's That Fire?' ?

The scene with the flagpole is a classic!

Snag is, if you haven't you probably won't.

For some reason it's not available, fortunately I had a copy on VHS which I've transferred to DVD.

:D

Yeah, ages ago on BBC Two. Pity. There are really bad transfers on Ebay, my dad bought one. You could hardly hear it, and the picture was terrible.

I loved his stuff.

My dad introduced me the films when I was very young.

I remember watching some of his films on ITV on sunday afternoons back in the 70s. That was where I first saw the likes of Laurel & Hardy and Jacques Tati as well. And Godzilla movies. Much better than the rubbish they show now.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 16 2008, 9:46 PM BST

But my second favourite film of the trio, Oh, Mr Porter! is on at 10:00 on BBC Four.

Dennis Norden was on the Jonathan Ross radio show the other week and he mentioned that in his opnion this film had the finest line of comedy dialogue ever: "Next train's gone."

Genius.

I grew up watching Will Hay too!

Glad so many other people remember him. Usually most people have never even heard of him. On my comedy CV I used to describe myself as the love-child of Will Hay and Veronica Lake.

Yes, I too was introduced to it at an early age. Did anyone watch Oh Mr Porter last night. I love the Irish Postman who is forever saying 'You're Wasting your time'

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 17 2008, 1:45 PM BST

'You're Wasting your time'

hahahah I love that guy. I'll be saying that for about a week after watching it.

Didn't watch last night as I only saw it recently. Are there plans to screen more?

I doubt it. What it is, BBC4 have been doing features on certain types of transport. For example, they did buses and showed that classic Sykes episode 'Sykes and a Following' where Eric and Hattie become bus driver and clippie. Then they did taxis and showed that classic Jack Rosenthal play 'The Knowledge' and last night it was trains, so 'Oh Mr Porter' was shown.

Actually, they've done Bus Night, Tube Night, and Taxi Night. This is the Steam Season.

*end extra-geek mode*

just found this thread. Will Hay was a comedy God as far as I am concerned. As well as those films already mentioned, one of my favourites is Old Bones of The River.

Just remembered, he features as one of the subjects in the radio series 'How Tickled Am I?'

Available if you know where to look, if not, pm me.

:)